Power Ranger Online Message Board  

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Sailor Moon Kingdom

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 11/03/14, 06:14 PM   #1
Sabrblade
Shadow Ranger

Default Our biggest fears about the Viz redub (and alleviating them)

What are your biggest fears regarding the Viz redub of the 90's anime? And how can we alleviate them?

One of mine is simply some of the voices of forthcoming character not sounding right, as we've seen thus far with a few character like Shingo sounding too old, Rei sounding too deep, Luna not sounding young/cute enough, Nephrite sounding too good, etc. etc.

But a bigger fear of mine is how they'll pronounce some of the upcoming characters' names. Specifically, Ail and An, Prince Demand, Kaolinite, all of the Witches 5 (minus Mimete, since her name's easy), all of the Amazoness Quartet, and Sailor Aluminum Seiren. Each of these characters have names that are pronounced very specifically in the Japanese version, and a LOT of English versions have either spoken/spelled all or most of them wrong, or changed them outright.
Old 11/03/14, 06:29 PM   #2
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: Our biggest fears about the Viz redub (and alleviating them)

My fears besides the ones (other than the ones related to name changes or pronunciation) you mentioned was keeping the "Make Up" part of the transformation call since it just doesn't sound right or good in English.

Additionally my other fear is in regards to Kalonite. Not because of the pronunciation since that isn't important to me since it's just a name and Americans will have a different way to pronounce it than the Japanese would anyway because of our different alphabet but my fear is making sure they're consistent with Kalonite so that the villain is called Kalonite but the servant that lives at Tomoe's place is called Ms. Kalo or something.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 07:34 PM   #3
PRangerX
Administrator

Most worried about the. different voices. Also will miss the Dic fight Songs ( "My Only Love", "Carry On", " The Battle Has Begun" , and " Th Power of Love").
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/03/14, 09:14 PM   #4
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX View Post
Most worried about the. different voices. Also will miss the Dic fight Songs ( "My Only Love", "Carry On", " The Battle Has Begun" , and " Th Power of Love").
I can't say anything about most of the DiC songs but I will miss the "My Only Love" one but it will be refreshing to see a lot of the episodes unedited.
I just wonder what they will do in regards to religious terms such as Messiah and the Holy Grail. There's nothing wrong with using Talisman for the treasures in "S" so I can see that being kept.
Old 11/04/14, 10:01 AM   #5
PRangerX
Administrator

I actually see them keeping it. The episodes are on hulu now and our being aimed for an older audience. Also their is far less worry of outrage off network. They already mentioned God in a sub for Crystal.

Now if the dub ever ends up on a kid block I think we will see more edited versions. But the stuff on Hulu and DVDs will be uncut.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/04/14, 12:03 PM   #6
MattEmily
Administrator

you have a point there but what if it airs on a network? It doesn't matter the network just as long as it airs on one... would Messiah and Holy Grail still be kept?
Old 12/09/17, 08:59 PM   #7
MattEmily
Administrator

looks like you were right they are keeping the Holy Grail name.
Post New ThreadReply