Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers Online Feedback And Requests > Zabitan's Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/28/15, 05:16 PM   #171
Zabitan
Administrator

Default Re: Zabitan's Magic Happy American Tokusatu Reviews

Welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we're looking at Quest for Power part three written by Douglas Sloan , and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off where we left off with JB, and Kaitlin looking for any trace left of Ryan or Jeb when they see Ryan, and Jeb emerge from the rubble of the Virtual Dungeon.

Then Ryan, and Jeb return to the lab, and Ryan wonders if they found any trace of his dad but JB says no.

But Ryan decides to go to where they can get a better scan of both realities, and the other Troopers join him.

Meanwhile at Ziktor industries Ziktor's secretaries are fighting over who's in charge of the virtual army now that Grimlord's gone.

But then Grimlord himself appears on the monitor, and reveals he's in a temporary base until his new Dark Fortress is complete.

And he uses what's left of his old mutants to destroy Ryan but needs to get all the Troopers to his lair.

The Troopers are still looking for clues when they pick up a signal coming from a nearby cave.

While Grimlord, and Icebot have finished the last brain draining session, and Icebot is already using it to new, and improved mutants.

Grimlord has him send them after the Troopers who arrive at the front of the cave to find plants that turn out to be Skugs.

The Skugs wave their hatchets around but the Troopers just punch, and kick them, and Kaitlin knocks one into a flower pot, and kicks another Skug into it destroying them.

Then JB also knocks a couple of Skugs into each other but Grimlord via campfire orders Icebot to enhance the Skugs' powers.

Then the last two Skugs put their hands in front of each other, and transform into Miraclers from Shaider, and when the Troopers to fight them off they kidnap Kaitlin, and JB.

Then Ryan contacts the Professor who explains what's going on, and tells Ryan to come to the lab.

While the new Ultra Skugs take JB, and Kaitlin, and put them on weird metal crosses with Tyler Steele on a third one.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/28/15, 05:17 PM   #172
Zabitan
Administrator

At the lab the Professor explains what's going on, and explains that the technology from Ryan's father has upgraded Grimlord's mutants to the point that if Ryan keeps fighting them he could lose his powers forever but Ryan still has to save his friends, and his father.

Meanwhile JB, and Kaitlin try to talk to Ryan's father but it seems like the brain draining has left him a vegetable.

Then Grimlord explains his plan which is to use a laser cannon which will move back, and forth, and slowly down until it decapitates JB, Kaitlin, and Tyler like a laser pendulum, and starts the device.

At the lab Ryan says fuck it, and decides to transform, and the Professor lets him but only if he recharges his powers first.

The laser pendulum swings closer to Ryan's father, and friends but Ryan's powers have finished charging, and he teleports to Grimlord's temporary base.

The heads of various past mutants keep flying into Ryan, and exploding draining his powers but Ryan doesn't give up.

Then a cape falls down, and turns into Decimator who comes after Ryan with his sword so Ryan kicks him but it turns out to be an illusion which the Professor explains all the Mutants Ryan been fighting have been.

So Ryan pulls out a knife, and throws it at the Decimator, and it disappears into nothingness.

Then Grimlord himself appears, and picks up Ryan, and throws him electricity, and then attacks Ryan with tentacles.

Then Grimlord tells Ryan he's rigged his temporary base to explode, and his throne levitates, and Grimlord escapes.

Ryan searches for his father, and friends but his powers are giving out, and the laser pendulum is coming down on his friends, and father.

Ryan's powers finally give out but he finds his friends, and father, deactivates the laser pendulum, frees everyone, and everyone escapes the cave before it explodes.

But alas Ryan's virtualizer starts glowing, and when he pulls it out it disintegrates into powder confirming that Ryan's lost his powers.
At the lab attempts to revive Ryan's father from his current state have failed, and Ryan is distraught over the whole thing.

While elsewhere Grimlord now having a new American costume since the show finally used up all the Metalder footage, and he brags about how the worst is yet to come

To be continued.
Old 05/28/15, 09:10 PM   #173
Zabitan
Administrator

Welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we're looking at Quest for Power part four written by Douglas Sloan , and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off where we left off with the Troopers trying to revive Ryan's father but nothing is working, and the Professor explains that physically Ryan's father is okay but he can't access his own memories.

So Jeb suggests going to Tao for help, and the Troopers agree so they tell Tao they need help, and he agrees.

At Ziktor industries Ziktor's secretaries give him the fully charged prism of empowerment, and has his secretaries destroy his old power orb.

Then he uses the prism to create his new Dark Fortress which a flying shark like spaceship, and then Ziktor uses the prism to transform into Grimlord.

Grimlord then shoots a beam that creates a woman in a white dress with an Egyptian style head dress, and a scepter who calls herself Despera.

Then Despera shoots electricity from her scepter which brings a face on the wall behind Grimlord to life as a supercomputer/genie called Oraclon.

And Oraclon in turn shoots lasers that create Ultra Skugs, a man dressed in black, and red scorpion themed armor called Doom Master, and a group of women warriors in various different colored outfits called Vixens.
Old 05/28/15, 09:10 PM   #174
Zabitan
Administrator

Then the Troopers take Ryan's father to Tao who opens a bookcase door, and takes everyone to his secret meditation room.

Then Tao puts some herbs, and a giant purple crystal on Tyler, and tells everyone to think happy thoughts, and that fixes Tyler.

Then we go to the temple where Ryan has his "my dad taught me/I miss my dad" moments, and shares a long overdue father son moment when they remember Grimlord, and immediately start working on new VR Trooper powers for Ryan.

At the Dark Fortress Grimlord orders his minions to destroy the other Troopers, and Oraclon recommends sending in Grimstars new manta ray shaped spaceships to do the job, and Grimlord agrees.

The Troopers, and Ryan's father are still working on Ryan's new powers when the lab's alarms sense the Grimstars so JB, and Kaitlin transform to fight them.

The Grimstars fire on the Skybase with lasers so JB fires missiles, and destroys one but the others keep firing so Ryan's father tells them to retreat but they can't escape, and the communication goes out.

Ryan's father tries to reestablish communication while JB destroys the Grimstars with more missiles but the damage is done, and the Skybase crashes.

JB, and Kaitlin teleport back to the lab okay but the Skybase is trashed but Ryan, and his father have finished his new powers with only one thing missing: the virtualizer.

Meanwhile Grimlord is confident that nothing stands between him, and final control of reality.

To be continued.
Old 06/01/15, 06:13 PM   #175
Zabitan
Administrator

Welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we're looking at Quest for Power part five written by Douglas Sloan, and directed by Worth Keeter.

So we start off where we left off with the Troopers, and Ryan's father trying to make a new virtualizer for Ryan but the crystal is imperfect.

Then the Professor, and Ryan's father show some Shaider footage of all the powers, and weapons he could have.

Like the lightsaber esque Laser Saber, The VR Shoulder Cannon a laser cannon similar to JB's Techno Bazooka, the VR Nitro Cycle a flying motorcycle similar to JB's fighter bike.

And finally the VR Combat Module a tank that splits into a jet, and drill tank like the Battle Cruiser.

At Ziktor industries one of his secretaries informs him that JB, and Kaitlin survived the crash of the Skybase.

So he transforms into Grimlord, and orders his minions to send a mutant after the Troopers so Despera has Oraclon create one.

And Oraclon makes an orb appear in his mouth which Despera takes out, afterwards fly into the walls of the Dark Fortress, and appears on the monitor in the form of a white mutant with a claw for a hand called Irradiator.

At Tao dojo Ryan, and his father are sparing when the Professor contacts them to tell them to come to the lab.

At the lab JB shows them Irradiator so Ryan's father has JB, and Kaitlin transform, and uses a special virtual enhancement program to upgrade their powers.

Kaitlin jumps, and kicks at the Skugs while JB goes sword to claw with Irradiator when Air Fighters appear so JB takes the fight to virtual reality.

Kaitlin keeps fighting Skugs, and destroys two of them while Irradiator throws JB, and makes guns come out of his shoulder, and fires on JB.
Old 06/01/15, 06:13 PM   #176
Zabitan
Administrator

While Ryan, and his father watch at the lab so Ryan, and his father try another virtualizer experiment but it fails.

While at the Dark Fortress Grimlord orders Doom Master, and the Vixens to invade Crossworld City.

JB shoots off Irradiator's arms with his laser but they come back to life, and attack JB.

But JB slices them with his sword, and decapitates Irradiator but Irradiator is still alive.

Meanwhile Kaitlin still fights Skugs when they transform into Ultra Skugs but Kaitlin still holds own with them.

At the temple Ryan, and his father have another father/son moment when Tao appears, and Ryan, and his father tell Tao they need a special crystal, and he has one.

JB destroys Irradiator with Laser Lance while Kaitlin destroys the Ultra Skugs who have the same weakness as the old ones.

Tao gives Ryan, and his father the crystal while Kaitlin, and JB fight Doom Master, and the Vixens by punching, and kicking them.

Grimlord orders Despera to help Doom Master, and the Vixens so she teleports to where they are, and fires lasers from her scepter at JB, and Kaitlin.

Meanwhile Ryan, and his father have finished the virtualizer, and Ryan finally transforms into Shaider, and we're treated to some Shaider footage of Ryan fighting Ultra Skugs with his sword.

Ryan summons his spaceship to fire lasers at Grimlord's minions forcing them to retreat, and Grimlord once again swears vengeance on the Troopers.

Finally at the temple Ryan's father congratulates the Troopers but Grimlord is still out there, and the Troopers are ready.

Then JB, Kaitlin, and Jeb leave, and Ryan, and his father share one last father/son.

The end.
Old 06/01/15, 06:15 PM   #177
Zabitan
Administrator

Final Thoughts.

This whole storyline was pretty good.

I still stand by what I said about how if I could count all of it as single episode I would say it's my all time favorite.

It's a great send off to Ryan's old powers, and Grimlord's old mutants, and fortress, and great introduction to Ryan's new powers, and Grimlord's new mutants, and fortress.

I also liked the part where it genuinely seemed like Ryan was killed before he could escape Grimlord's dungeon.

I also liked the various father/son my moments between Ryan, and Tyler.

It has problems but there mostly small, and can be chalked up to pacing, and production.

The whole story feels like it could have just been three episodes instead of five since the story is just Grimlord steals Tyler's knowledge to upgrade his mutants, Ryan, and the others find out, and fight them, Ryan goes to the Virtual Dungeon to rescue his father, and Jeb, and almost gets blown up.

Ryan, and his friends search for Grimlord, and his father, and them in a cave but Kaitlin, and JB get kidnapped, and Ryan has to rescue them, and he rescues his father, and friends but looses his old powers.

Ryan, and the others heal Tyler while Grimlord creates the Dark Fortress, and his new minions, and Tyler makes new powers for Ryan so he can fight them.

I liked the fights with Wolfbot, and Rapidspore in parts 1 and 2, and the one with Irradiator in part 5 but I felt like they both could have been used for stand alone episodes.

Remember how I went on all the time in The Disappearance, Race to the Rescue, and New Kids on the Planet about how I wished they had saved Ryan's fights for those episodes for a major multi parter.

Well this what I was talking about.

It also bugged me how JB, and Kaitlin spend so much of the first half out of Trooper mode, and they try to overcompensate by having Ryan spend all of part 4 out of Trooper mode

Also for all the build up to Ryan's new powers it bugged me that they didn't actually use a Shaider monster to show them off.

Then again I also think if it didn't have the Shaider stuff, and you edited it to end at part 3, and you included Ivar's fights from Save the Trees, and Great Brain Robbery, and Icebot's fight from Littlest Trooper, and made this the series finale.

Or if they switched around Grimlord stealing Tyler's knowledge to have it before Defending Dark Heart, and split it up into two two parters with one that's the first two parts of Defending Dark Heart in the middle of Season One with Dark Heart becoming an ally of the Troopers.

And the other at the end of Season One that's the last two parts of Defending Dark Heart mixed with the first half of this episode.

And then the second half be the Season Two premiere.

Tune in next time for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.
Old 06/02/15, 09:24 PM   #178
Zabitan
Administrator

So remember when I said that after Quest for Power I was doing a four day week because there's only four regular episodes afterwards before Kaitlin Through the Looking Glassm

And I was going to make Kaitlin Through the Looking Glass it's own special week just for itself, and do one more four day week before going back to my regular schedule?.

Well since I took that month, and a half hiatus when I originally was just going take a couple of weeks tops I looked it up, and there's only 7 regular episodes after Kaitlin Through the Looking Glass before Grimlord's Dark Secret.

And afterwards there's just 17 more regular episodes of VR Troopers.

Anyway my point is while I'm still doing a four day week this week.

Next week is going to be a full week before another four day week, and then three more while weeks before one more four day week.

Moving on welcome to another Magic Happy VR Troopers Review, and today we're looking at Fashion Victims written by Clifford Herbert, and directed and Vikie Brodough.

So we start off with today's "My dad taught me" moment where Ryan talks about how his dad taught him about the importance of keeping promises.

We then go to the Underground Voice Daily where Kaitlin is with her friend Andrea who's a fashion designer, and is making clothes for a design competition.

Andrea explains that she needs models, and after a comedy bit with Percy Kaitlin, and Andrea decide that Kaitlin, and the guys would be perfect.

At Ziktor industries Ziktor is back to reading the Power Rangers villain playbook because he's looking at Andrea's designs, and decides to transform into Grimlord.

Grimlord then orders Despera, and Oraclon to create a mutant, and they create a silkworm like mutant called Silkoid.

Later at Tao dojo JB practices with a bow staff while Ryan watches when Kaitlin shows up, and tells them what's going on, and at first they're reluctant but Kaitlin convinces them to go along.

Meanwhile Andrea is working on her clothes when three women appear, and turn out to be Skugs who then restrain Andrea, and use a device to shoot purple lasers, and put Andrea under Grimlord's control.

Back at the dojo Ryan gets a call from Tao asking him to teach a class so he tells the others to go without him, and he'll meet them later.

Then we see a montage of JB, and Kaitlin trying on Andrea's clothes, and afterwards the Skugs appear in their human forms before changing back, and multiplying.
Kaitlin, and JB just punch, and kick Skugs, and there's parts with a Skug in a dress, and Skugs using fabric rolls as weaweapons.

Then the Skugs trap Kaitlin with some fabric, and JB destroys some Skugs before being trapped as well, and Silkoid appears, and cocoons them.
Old 06/02/15, 09:24 PM   #179
Zabitan
Administrator

At the Dark Fortress Andrea appears on the monitor, and tells Grimlord that JB, and Kaitlin are prisoners

But he still wants Ryan so he orders her to go after Ryan, and Doom Master, and the Vixens volunteer as back up.

Ryan's done at the dojo so he goes to Andrea, and sees the cocoons, when Andrea isn't looking he tries to contact JB, and Kaitlin but can't.

Then he tries to contact the Professor who also confirms not being able to contact JB, and Kaitlin so Ryan goes outside, but Doom Master and the Vixens are there.

So Ryan transforms, and briefly fights Doom Master, and the Vixens, and shoots lasers at them, they retreat.

Ryan retroforms, and goes back inside, and finds some of Silkoid's silk so he tells the Professor, and goes to the lab.

At the lab Ryan puts the silk in the analyzer, and the Professor figures out what's going on, and explains that if they can't get JB, and Kaitlin out of the cocoons they'll mutate into silkworm mutants as well.

so Ryan transforms again to fight Silkoid, and free his friends, and summons the Nitro Cycle while Doom Master undoes the brain washing on Andrea, and Silkoid cocoons her but Ryan frees her with his laser.

Ryan briefly fights with Ultra Skugs before fighting Doom Master with his sword, and Silkoid using a giant rose as a weapon, and later fires at everyone with his laser.

Oraclon then sends the fight to a strange dimension called the fractal zone where Silkoid spits webbing at Ryan, and cocoons him but Ryan uses his laser, and escapes.

Oraclon then takes the fight to another dimension called the Indigo Sector where Silkoid is holding a scimitar, and teleports, and turns invisible.

While Ryan is dual wielding his laser gun, and laser saber, and uses his scanner to find Silkoid, his laser gun to bring Silkoid out of hiding, and his laser saber to destroy him freeing the other Troopers from the cocoons.

Ryan helps Andrea, and the others escape while Grimlord once again swears vengeance on the Troopers.

Back at Andrea's studio Andrea reveals she's made new designs based on the Troopers then we get one last comedy bit with Percy.

Then Ryan once again talks about the moral of the episode.

The end.
Old 06/02/15, 09:24 PM   #180
Zabitan
Administrator

Final Thoughts.

Today's episode was okay it was good but not great.

I liked the story, and message, and Silkoid was one of the better looking Shaider monsters, and it's cool to finally see a Shaider monster after all the buildup of Quest for Power.

My only real gripe was that JB, and Kaitlin didn't transform at all especially since Andrea got cocooned herself, and the stuff with Andrea being brainwashed felt like it dragged on.

It also didn't help that even though only one Metal Hero show was used they still cut out stuff from the fight scene with Silkoid but left the one part I probably would take out.

In the end it's good but not how I would have kicked off the new status quo after Quest for Power.

Tune in next time for more Magic Happy VR Troopers Reviews.
Post New ThreadReply

Tags
episode discussion, vr troopers