Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 06/28/15, 12:06 PM   #1
LenZeo
Putty Patroller

Default "The Power Transfer" vs "Passing The Torch": Which Did You Prefer?

Now we both know this 2 parters get a bit of controversy for replacing cast members half way through the season. But I ask, which two parter did the cast switch up better? Which one did it worse? Which season improved after the cast change? Which didn't?

Personally, I actually enjoyed "Passing The Torch" A LOT more. Sure Rocky, Adam and Aisha were introduced a couple of episodes before "The Power Transfer", but the actual power transfer was terrible. The powers look like they were split instead of transferred with Jason, Zack and Trini still being in their suits afterwards. I know the 3 actors weren't there and the writers had to work around it, but the moment is rather stupid. Shouldn't that mean Jason, Zack and Trini still have their powers? Also, it doesn't help that once Aisha, Adam and Rocky appear, it's obvious Austin, Walter and Thuy aren't there with obviously bad stock footage of Jason, Zack and Trini. So Jason, Zack and Trini never really met Aisha, Adam and Rocky!!

But in "Passing the Torch", we get a good introduction of TJ and Cassie, actually see them being heroic and interacting with Power Rangers before being chosen to replace by Tommy and Kat. Sure, Carlos and Ashley don't do as much but AT LEAST they introduced a couple of episodes while the original cast was there. We saw Carlos and Ashley help Adam fight some Piranathrons in "A Drive to Win", showing they were also somewhat heroic and decent fighters. I guess it would have been better if Tanya actually met Ashley, showing why she chose her to replace her but its a small nit pick in an otherwise strong two parter. It also helps that this cast change over not only boosted the ratings but established a better cast for the season. Let's be serious, Tommy and the original cast were pretty boring during Turbo while the new team got good character development and had more to do. Heck, even Justin fit better with the new team. Unlike after "The Power Transfer", the season went downhill in my opinion. Except for maybe Aisha, Rocky and Adam were pretty weak replacements with little personality. Now their personalities improved a bit in Zeo but in MMPR, they just didn't live up to Jason and Zack who, while stereotyped, had defined personalities. The dynamic honestly wasn't the same and didn't really gel again til Season 3 in my opinion. But anyway, what do you guys think?
LenZeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/28/15, 04:23 PM   #2
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

Default Re: "The Power Transfer" vs "Passing The Torch": Which Did You Prefer?

I prefer Passing the Torch too since it felt like a much better send off for the Zeo Rangers.
Rangermanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/15, 11:24 AM   #3
Power Sentai
Ranger In Training

"The Power Transfer" by far. At least the episode set up why each Ranger was leaving and wasn't last minute. "Passing The Torch" just came out of nowhere. And it wasn't even clear why the Rangers had to leave.
Power Sentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/15, 01:27 PM   #4
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Sentai View Post
"The Power Transfer" by far. At least the episode set up why each Ranger was leaving and wasn't last minute. "Passing The Torch" just came out of nowhere. And it wasn't even clear why the Rangers had to leave.
Well duh the rangers graduated from college there was no point of keeping them on the show
Old 07/10/15, 07:59 AM   #5
Lightspeed Zeo
Power Ranger

The Lightspeed Rangers were college or post college age. A lot of teams have been actually.
Lightspeed Zeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/10/15, 08:02 AM   #6
Turbo Guy
Power Ranger

I would have liked to have seen the Turbo Rangers in college. I always thought it was wierd that they didn't go to college.
Turbo Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/15, 07:03 AM   #7
The Ghost Ranger
Power Ranger

Both had their ups and downs.

TPT: We had good introductions to the new folks, and we get to see them using both brain and brawn when dealing with putties and monsters before becoming Rangers. However, due to the original three not being on set, we missed out on the two trios meeting and chilling out, forming bonds, and at the end, they could say something like
"Adam, I pass on the powers of the Black Ranger to you for your cunning, and respect." . Yes, the personalities were weak, but they grew, they learned, and they served with pride.

PTT: Good introduction to the characters; we saw first hand how brave and compassionate TJ can be, how tough Cassy can be, and how Ashley and Carlos could become protectors by helping people. The fact that they had to pass on the powers so fast and without reason brings the episode down. Tommy and Kat could have easily said "Dimitria, we've been Rangers since we were young teens. We want to move on and will always cherish our memories as protectors." If they would have kept Johnny and Nakia, they coould have become mentors to the new ones, or at least have Tanya meet Ashley to give a reason WHY she chose her as the replacement.

All in all, I like and dislike both equally. We get new faces to meet, new personalities. But at the same time we get no real "Pow" factor. By this I mean no real sense of...I don't know. Closure?
The Ghost Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/15, 11:48 AM   #8
Rangermanuel
Power Ranger

I respect your opinions but all was for the best in my opinion
Old 07/11/15, 12:21 PM   #9
PRangerX
Administrator

It did seem like "Passing OF The Torch" forgot to tell us the powers were changing until the end. It was supposed to be a surprise I assume. It just would have made more sense if they started the episode with Dimitria telling the Rangers it was time for them to retire...Or even have it be something to do with the Mellenium Message. Ghost is right about the lack of closure. Its funny how they next episode they treated the newbies like they had been Rangers for awhile.

I did find the episode enjoyable though. The first part was pretty top notch and seemed to have better production. But that could be because they filmed more American Scenes. It almost felt like the Turbo Movie for me.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/15, 12:22 PM   #10
Gosei Gold
Power Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangermanuel View Post
I respect your opinions but all was for the best in my opinion
Yeah, I ended up liking the new Rangers in both cases. Even if I had to say goodbye to the old favorites. Of course we are used to it now.
Gosei Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply