Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Off-Topic Discussion > Kamen Rider Online
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 04/17/11, 01:17 PM   #11
Shadow Ranger Blue
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Why did Dragon Knight fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRangerX View Post
Actually, I think one of the strengths of the show is that they didn't copy Ryuki and did their own thing.

Good point, about the heavy story arch making it hard for new viewers. Thats a problem that some adult fans have. While I personally like shows like that and loved that aspect of DK, it probably did hurt things. But I don't think they needed to do what Samurai did and not have a real origin episode.
I'm really glad they made their own storyline, but I still think it was just too slow to start off with. I really don't mind how Samurai started because you are dropped straight into the action and that's all kids care about. I think Saban will eventually go back and tell us how each Ranger came to the group, but right now its not what they want to do and I can understand that. Just coming back to the screen they have to make it fun for kids to get back into it. I just think if Dragon Knight had done the same thing it may have survived.
I think it could have been a better idea to aim the show at an older audience just because it could have worked. People like things like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, so why not a group of people running around in armour killing each other.
Shadow Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/11, 04:57 PM   #12
PRangerX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Ranger Blue View Post
I'm really glad they made their own storyline, but I still think it was just too slow to start off with. I really don't mind how Samurai started because you are dropped straight into the action and that's all kids care about. I think Saban will eventually go back and tell us how each Ranger came to the group, but right now its not what they want to do and I can understand that. Just coming back to the screen they have to make it fun for kids to get back into it. I just think if Dragon Knight had done the same thing it may have survived.
I think it could have been a better idea to aim the show at an older audience just because it could have worked. People like things like Batman, Superman, Spiderman, so why not a group of people running around in armour killing each other.
I just didn't think it started out as slow as others say. But thats just my impression. They did kind of start things in the middle. Since many of the early Riders we're already Kamen Riders before Kit and had their stories told in flashbacks.

I think one of the problems we're that it was aimed at an older audience. And audience that was less likely to watch Saturday Morning TV. Perhaps if it was on a better Network or part of a Toonami like block on some cable channel.
PRangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/11, 05:36 PM   #13
Zabitan
Administrator

I'll admit I only saw a few episodes but for me I thought it took itself a little too seriously since even the civilian parts felt serious, heck even the Power Rangers season at the time which took place in a post apocalyptic future where an evil A.I., and it's killer robots were trying to destroy the last human city knew when to be light hearted in the civilian parts.

I also felt the fight scenes were often times just there for the sake of having a fight scene, and not part of the plot, or they were but they were so many plots going on in the episode that it was hard to care.

I think part of it came from they wanted to have a typical superheroes saving the world from aliens story but it clashed with what Ryuki was supposed to be about what would happen if a bunch of people got super powers, and yet at the same time wanted to make it as much like Ryuki as they could on an American kid show.
Zabitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/11, 06:16 PM   #14
Shadow Ranger Blue
Putty Patroller

To be honest, I think they should have started with a show like Blade, but I think the costume designs would have put people/kids off. I can see why they chose Ryuki because of the dragons but I think Kabuto would have worked well. Cool designs, although the bug thing again may have put kids off. I dunno, I think the only thing that really upset me about that show was the fact the fight between Matt Mullins and Mark Decascos was all jumping around and only kicking each other in the shins as I recall. They are two of my favourite TV martial artists and could have done an amazing fight scene, but the violence thing was too much I guess, even though I don't think it would have been to show two guys sparing.
Shadow Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply