Power Ranger Online Message Board

Go Back   Power Ranger Online Message Board > Power Rangers Online > Power Rangers General Discussion

Share This Forum!  

Post New ThreadReply

Old 05/18/18, 10:37 AM   #31
MattEmily
Administrator

Default Re: The appeal of Tommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hailey Hartford View Post
Actually he did get too much attention once he returned. That is a fact, not propaganda as you claim. If I remember correctly in the Japanese version not only did the Green Ranger die but the White Ranger was played by a small boy. Yes I do watch some of the Sentai stuff so I do know more than people think.
He said "from the get-go" though that doesn't count as "from the get-go."

Also you're forgetting that DragonRanger didn't get much focus due to him dying so there was very little of him fighting with the others so yes what you claim isn't a fact it's just propaganda. Dairanger's Kibaranger was Kou (I think?) but who Kibaranger is isn't relevant since both productions wouldn't have had the actor wearing the suit much if at all. Toei rarely shoots their hero actors in the suits except for the sequences and promotional material.
MattEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 11:50 AM   #32
Superstatler
Power Ranger

I understand where you are coming from Hailey. I think people just don't take Tommy Hater seriously because he tends to go over the top. You are just stating what you believe and don't take it as far as him . So thats cool.
Superstatler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 11:51 AM   #33
Blue Ranger Gone Bad
Ranger In Training

Really when you think of it, it isn't a big deal. Tommy hasn't been around for a long time. Even if he comes back for anniversy specials he isn't the focal point of the franchise. So like him or hate him, he just isn't around anymore.
Blue Ranger Gone Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 11:52 AM   #34
No Green Spandex
Power Ranger

I'm with Hailey and Hater, Tommy is way overhyped. I do think he was cool in season 1.5 though.
No Green Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 11:53 AM   #35
KimandTommy
Power Ranger

Tommy was amazing! And I will never be sick of him. I only question why he dumped Kimberly for Kat. But that was the writers stupid idea.
KimandTommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 01:12 PM   #36
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimandTommy View Post
Tommy was amazing! And I will never be sick of him. I only question why he dumped Kimberly for Kat. But that was the writers stupid idea.
more like it was her (Amy's) decision to leave which forced their hand since they could no longer film an on-screen relationship granted I don't blame her for wanting to leave
Old 05/18/18, 07:36 PM   #37
PRFan4Ever
Putty Patroller

I never understood why the actors would want to leave. Even with the harsh conditions, your basically playing Power Rangers all day. Its a great job! Especially back then.
PRFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 07:41 PM   #38
Captain Mutiny
Power Ranger

There is a lot more to it then that. The job was actually harder back then. And lets not forget the actors wouldn't have grown up with the series. Not that many actors let that influence their job.
Captain Mutiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/18/18, 08:27 PM   #39
MattEmily
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Mutiny View Post
There is a lot more to it then that. The job was actually harder back then. And lets not forget the actors wouldn't have grown up with the series. Not that many actors let that influence their job.
Very true in fact here's basically a recap to give PRFan an idea of how bad it was back then especially during back then.
  1. They worked 14-16 hours a day on a daily basis
  2. They had to come in to do their ADR
  3. Their pay well let's just say McDonald's paid their employees better
  4. Stunts. Remember the ep where Billy and Kimberly switched bodies? During 1 of their tapings of that something went wrong and at least Amy got caught on fire. Nowadays? If a hero actor is that close to a fire device they won't let them do the scene unless they're 100% confident of their ability to do the scene but back then Saban Entertainment didn't have a choice since they budgeted for only so much stunt doubles so if they had their stunt team filming as Putties elsewhere then no one would've been available.
Old 05/19/18, 12:09 PM   #40
Sentai Master
Ranger In Training

I actually can see where some people felt Tommy was overhyped. He was at timea. But at the same time I do think he was a good character and a big part of thhe mythos of the series. He isn't the only think PR has going for it though.
Sentai Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New ThreadReply