View Single Post
Old 03/02/15, 08:09 PM   #4
ShinySephiroth
Putty Patroller

Default Re: Power Ranger Origins: The Reign of the Morphing Masters

Chapter Three: The Academy

After the conference, Zordon could be seen packing away his papers into his research bag. Burai, an averaged sized man with a mop of black hair, walked up to him and patted him on the back. "Well, Zordon. I have to say what you lack in charisma you sure do make up for in pure amazingness! Watching you present your theories and the possible applications it all may have... I just wish you would share some of these things with at least me. I am over this division too, you know..." Burai looked down in embarrassment as he said this. These were feelings he had bottled up, though only when they came spilling out his mouth was he able to fully realize the emotions existed.

Zordon nodded as he continued to pack his things, his back still turned toward Burai. "You are right. The best way to run an organization is if its leaders are all in accord." He finished packing and started toward the building's exit.

"Hey, wait up! I have a lot to ask about what you taught today!"

Zordon moaned to himself. Can't I have some time to myself? I didn't pick you as my right hand man so we could be friends. Well, maybe this will help get you caught up...

Zordon didn't slow down as he made his way out of the building. Burai was right at his heels.

"Okay, first off: why did you keep these things to yourself?"

Zordon adjusted the strap on his bag which was wrapped around his shoulder. "I was busy preparing the presentation. Orion strongly urged me to prepare things which would give the members of the Alliance faith in me. I picked the things which I didn't feel would give away my deeper thoughts and experiments, but would still border on the fringe side of our tech. Just to keep things exciting. I didn't tell you beforehand because I didn't have time to slow down my preparations for you to keep up with me." Zordon swept mats of blue hair from off his brow.

Burai placed his hand on Zordon's shoulder as they walked. "Trust me, my friend. I'll keep up! At least next time, give me your presentation notes. I'll go over them and if I don't understand something, I will ask you afterward about it. I am not ashamed to ask someone younger than me for help!" He flashed his superior a smile.

Great. So I guess you're saying I need to get accustomed to these post-meeting chats. And I am only one hundred years younger than you... Zordon turned to Burai. "You said you had questions about the presentation. I am fairly confident it didn't end with your first question."

Burai's head cocked back. "Oh, yes... right... let me see..." He pulled out some note cards from his pocket. "Well... You spoke about using items as sort of totems to allow for more power in our soldiers. What did you mean by that?"

Zordon chuckled. "I didn't elaborate on that on purpose. Sentinel Knight would've been very upset if I had outright stated my meaning. I'll be very surprised if he didn't catch my drift during the presentation anyway. I'm sure I'll have a scalding memo in my office in the morning."

"You didn't answer my question... sir." Burai smiled again, with what seemed like an amazing amount of patience.

"Right. You will need a history lesson first. With an older quorum of the Morphing Masters, there was the war for the Corona Aurora. Sentinel Knight was able to secure it and has been its guardian ever since. The purposes of that war was to use the jewels as a power source to fuel an empire. My conjecture is that we can use other artifacts in much the same way."
Burai nodded. "Yes, this makes sense. But wouldn't this be using it as a conduit to the Morphing Grid?"

Zordon shook his head. "This is what Sentinel Knight doesn't understand. One can make powerful warriors, who may give the impression of capabilities derived from the Grid, without actually tapping the Grid itself. Yes, he has outlawed sciences directly using the Morphing Grid, and he has done so for very good reason. Of all the Masters, he has the most experience with the Grid and knows its powers and dangers. What I suggest, and wish to prove, is that one can use totems to be a power source for warriors without tapping the grid."

Burai wrote these things down in his notes. "This is fascinating! What gave you the idea this could even work, though?"

Zordon shrugged. "Just a hunch I went with and, through my investigations, have seen evidence it is possible." Burai made some more annotations. Good thing he bought that. The truth would... complicate things.

"Okay, Zordon. You also mentioned machines which would facilitate Alliance security, and then showed some schematics. Anything else about them?"

Zordon shook his head, causing his blue hair to wave about. "That's all. They will be manned by soldiers. These 'Droids' will run in groups of five and their primary focus will be to divide and conquer the foe. I figure anything more than five will too difficult for a field commander to manage efficiently."

Zordon stopped at that point and, for the first time during the conversation, looked at Burai. "Thank you very much for your time and dedication for wanting to learn more of our department's future. Unfortunately, I have arrived at my dormitory. If you wish, we can continue these discussions tomorrow in my office."

Burai smiled. "Yeah, sure. Sounds great. Thank you for your time! I will also have my report about my upcoming research proposals ready for you in a few days."

With this, they parted ways. Zordon scanned his security badge at the dormitory scanner. "Zordon Zoltar of Eltar. Identity confirmed. Please enter." Zordon walked in and headed toward his room. As a high ranking member of The Morphing Academy, he was privileged with free boarding on the main planet. There was a sharp contrast of those who lived on the main planet: those who came from wealthy families and could afford the rooming, and those you earned the ability to live close to The Masters themselves. More often than not, those who were able to buy their room on the planet were those who never received a very high rank, while those who were regarded as more academically inclined rose achieved "greatness".

Every year, the Morphing Masters would allow for applications to be sent in for the top three spots in The Academy. They would be evaluated by their achievements, an interview with a member of the Morphing Masters, and their ability to battle with their inherent abilities to tap the Morphing Grid. Now, while it was outlawed by the Masters to make equipment for anyone to be able to tap the Morphing Grid, the Morphing Academy was founded expressly to increase the abilities of those who were naturally able to tap the Grid.

The purpose of having the top three spots selected was for those three to be those next in line to become a member of the Morphing Masters Council upon the death of a member. Zordon had been a member of The Top for the past four years, and with the death of Master App during a mission in the M51 Galaxy, Zordon was apprehensive of the fact he would be under observation for the spot. He very much wanted this spot, for he knew if he got in, he would have access to more resources than he thought imaginable, and would be able to fund Research and Development with the resources he believed that department deserved.

It's a shame. Although Orion started Research and Development, ever since he became a Master he has left it by the wayside. I will change things. And, there will be no more pandering to the masses. No more conventions that are nothing more than ringside attractions. The research will speak for itself and time will be devoted to that and not six months of planning for a silly event. Imagine if those six months went by completely interrupted, for just research! We could get more work done, and the results would speak for themselves! I am sure we would get at least the same amount of funds for the projects I would do! Zordon shrugged to himself as he walked down the empty halls, continuing his thoughts. No reason to imagine something which may not occur, I guess.

At that time, The Top was comprised of Zordon of Eltar, an Aquitian named Cestro, and Zordon's assistant, Burai. After Master App's sudden death, the candidate who scored the fourth best two months earlier, during The Trials, had also been chosen to be a member of The Top, to take the place of the member who would be eventually promoted to the rank of Master. It caused quite a flurry of discussion throughout the Alliance, since this candidate was the first female to be a member of The Top since Delphine of Aquitar was named as a Master. The favorite amongst the members of The Academy was Cestro to become a Master, due to being an Aquitian himself and having "an in" by way of Delphine.

As Zordon finally got to his room, he noticed someone at his door. It was Orion. He cleared his throat and started walking toward Zordon. "Good presentation today. It got a lot of potential investors. We'll work on them to get your research funded."

Zordon was very surprised to see Orion there in a dormitory. It was always odd to see a Master walking about for the members of the Academy, but to be in front of his own room threw Zordon off a bit from his normally balanced nature. It was also interesting for him to see Orion in the gold robe, which was worn by the lowest ranking member of the Senior quorum of the Masters. There were fifteen members of the Morphing Masters: seven Senior members and eight Junior members. Orion was recently voted in as the newest Senior member, to replace App, who had been second only to Sentinel Knight within the council.

"I hope to get started as soon as possible on my newest hypothesis." Zordon said, waiting to see if the congratulations were the only reason for Master Orion's visit.

"Well, that will have to take a back seat for now. I have been sent by the Masters to come and pick you up. You have been voted in to potentially take App's place. I will be teleporting you to the Masters' Council, which will start soon. There, you will learn of what your field exam will be to see if you are up to snuff."

Zordon's heart fell to his stomach. Orion was known to be direct to the point, so his bluntness at this moment provided no way for Zordon to gather himself for news he wasn't expecting.

"Okay. It seems like you are dumbfounded. You better have a tongue by the time we get to The Council. Now, come stand next to me." Zordon nodded and approached The Master. "Ready to teleport." Zordon, for the first time, was able to feel what it was like to be teleported.
ShinySephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote