View Single Post
Old 05/12/17, 11:03 PM   #18
DanKnight1221
Putty Patroller

Default Re: The show needs to be more serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Hard View Post
I think a lot of people who haven't watched the show since the early days like me, might come back if they made it more serious. The movie did it for me.
I think you are right about that. The real issue there is, that bringing back fans of the early days isn't what the show is really trying to do. Yeah, they do things for the old fans and do appreciate them. But at the end of the day Power Rangers is a kids show, aimed for young kids, currently airing on a kids network, designed to sell toys and get commercial spots from products aimed at kids.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably older than a lot of this board so I don't deny the show also has it's appeal to adults. But the show has succeeded for so long because it manages to constantly bring in new kids, kids who weren't even alive when the show started. That is what Nickelodeon wants, that is what the toy company wants, and that is what the advertisers want.

Even if they did a season that doubled the ratings if it only did that because they managed to drag in 50% more 20 year olds and above Nickelodeon would still not look at it as a huge victory because that is now who they are aiming to bring in.

When Power Rangers was at it's height Fox Kids aired a TV series called Young Hercules that I loved, and it was the second highest rated show that year on the Fox Kids lineup besides Power Rangers. But they cancelled it after one season? Why? Because almost all of their viewers were either teenagers or 20 something girls, along with some older fans who watched the Hercules series it was a spin-off of. Those people didn't buy breakfast cerial based on cartoons, they didn't buy kids toys, and they didn't watch the kids movies they aired commercials for. So despite their being a lot of people watching it, it was not the ones they needed to make money so it was still seen as a failure.

Not trying to be a naysayer, but while I think most long time fans would like it more if it got more serious and with a slightly more adult feel, when you are on a network that's entire thing is being aimed for kids, that isn't something that is considered important to anyone making the final call.
DanKnight1221 is offline   Reply With Quote