Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   White Ranger in Zeo (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=8676)

White Spandex Rules 04/03/18 12:01 PM

White Ranger in Zeo

I think it would have made more sense to keep Tommy as White Ranger during Zeo. That way Billy could have remained on the team.

Titanium Ghost 04/03/18 12:03 PM

Re: White Ranger in Zeo

I think it was too much work to add new footage. And if they did the Gold Ranger would have been added earlier.

Tommy Hater 04/03/18 12:06 PM

They should have just wrote Tommy off before Zeo.

Tommy Fan 04/03/18 12:08 PM

No way! Power Rangers needed Tommy. It was just time for him to finally become Red Ranger.

Tommy Angel 04/03/18 12:09 PM

I could have seen the White Powers sticking around though. Since Zordon did say they could never be drained like the Green Powers.

Miki1988 04/03/18 04:51 PM

It would have made no sense keeping the White Ranger powers since the writers made Zordon have the monologue about "the Power Rangers how we knew them are completely gone" in "A Zeo Beginning, Part II". Besides, the Kibaranger suit wouldn't go well with the Ohranger suits. Saban got lucky with Kibarager since the shield kind of resembled the Green Ranger one along with some suit elements that blended well with the elements from the Zyuranger suits for MMPR.

Another problem would be - like Titanium Ghost said - adding new footage would be too much work, the ratings were going down and the Saban needed to save cash in order to maintain the show and the franchise. Plus there's a possibility that Tommy would be a Zord-less Ranger since Ninjor was back at the Ninja Temple and the Ninjazord/Shougnzord technology wouldn't work with the Zeo tech unless Saban asked Toei for a Ohranger2 footage which would feature at least Kakuranger and Ohranger mecha be somehow compatible, combining-wise. For which - I don't believe - Saban had the finances for at the time of production & filming of Zeo. It's why Saban had Jason come back as Gold Ranger which boosted the ratings, which made Power Rangers be able to last to trough Turbo which was a ratings flop which led up to Power Rangers In Space, the season that brought some of the old audience back and perhaps even attracted some new audience which was enough strong power boost the franchise needed to survive.

MattEmily 04/03/18 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Spandex Rules (Post 75702)
I think it would have made more sense to keep Tommy as White Ranger during Zeo. That way Billy could have remained on the team.

there was no point since 1. it would've required too much additional footage, 2. Toei didn't even ship to Saban most of the Ohranger costumes and 3. he wouldn't have had a zord.

Maligore 04/04/18 11:29 AM

This is why it drives me crazy that Saban is so cheap.

Goldar's Revenge 04/04/18 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 75707)
It would have made no sense keeping the White Ranger powers since the writers made Zordon have the monologue about "the Power Rangers how we knew them are completely gone" in "A Zeo Beginning, Part II". Besides, the Kibaranger suit wouldn't go well with the Ohranger suits. Saban got lucky with Kibarager since the shield kind of resembled the Green Ranger one along with some suit elements that blended well with the elements from the Zyuranger suits for MMPR.

Another problem would be - like Titanium Ghost said - adding new footage would be too much work, the ratings were going down and the Saban needed to save cash in order to maintain the show and the franchise. Plus there's a possibility that Tommy would be a Zord-less Ranger since Ninjor was back at the Ninja Temple and the Ninjazord/Shougnzord technology wouldn't work with the Zeo tech unless Saban asked Toei for a Ohranger2 footage which would feature at least Kakuranger and Ohranger mecha be somehow compatible, combining-wise. For which - I don't believe - Saban had the finances for at the time of production & filming of Zeo. It's why Saban had Jason come back as Gold Ranger which boosted the ratings, which made Power Rangers be able to last to trough Turbo which was a ratings flop which led up to Power Rangers In Space, the season that brought some of the old audience back and perhaps even attracted some new audience which was enough strong power boost the franchise needed to survive.

Actually Zeo was a flop ratings wise. Thats why the Turbo Movie didn't bother addressing the loose ends. Turbo stablized the Ratings. Space kept that going and LG first half did huge ratings. Then things sank until Ninja Storm.

But your right about White Ranger not appearing in Zeo. They were trying to cut costs and use Ohranger footage. There is no way they were shooting original White Ranger Footage. . And liie you said, it made no sense storywise.

Zordon never said the White Ranger Powers couldn't be destroyed or lost. Just that evil couldn't drain them, like what happened with the Green Ranger Powers.

Massive Ego 04/04/18 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maligore (Post 75709)

Its called having realistic expectations.

MattEmily 04/04/18 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maligore (Post 75709)

you're already crazy no one has to "drive you there"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 75710)
But your right about White Ranger not appearing in. Zeo. They were trying to cut costs and use Ohranger footage. There is no way they were shooting original White Ranger Footage. . And liie you said, it made no sense storywise.

Zordon never said the White Ranger Powers couldn't be destroyed or lost. Just that evil couldn't drain them, like what happened with the Green Ranger Powers.

exactly. Zordon just said the powers couldn't be "taken away" by the "forces of evil" obviously referring to the Green Candle spell BUT do keep in mind he had nothing to do with his powers in Season 3 so those could've been taken away.

Zordon's Legacy Exposed 04/05/18 11:37 AM

Zordon was a liar anyway. You can't take what he said at face value.

Blue Ranger Gone Bad 04/05/18 05:19 PM

I don't think you make a major change of suits from MMPR to Zeo, just to reuse one suit. Its doing things half way when you should go all in.

MattEmily 04/05/18 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zordon's Legacy Exposed (Post 75713)
Zordon was a liar anyway. You can't take what he said at face value.

that's untrue and it's not very nice or appropriate to be calling someone a liar or a manipulator when they aren't since that's an evil tactic.

Ranger Master 04/05/18 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 75723)
that's untrue and it's not very nice or appropriate to be calling someone a liar or a manipulator when they aren't since that's an evil tactic.

Zordon was evil though. He was trying to rule the Earth just like the UAE.

Miki1988 04/06/18 06:26 AM

He wasn't evil, he just happened to have the power, the resources and authority to make what he envisioned come true. But some of his decisions/choices were questionable and did make him look like an ***.

MattEmily 04/06/18 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Master (Post 75724)
Zordon was evil though. He was trying to rule the Earth just like the UAE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 75727)
He wasn't evil, he just happened to have the power, the resources and authority to make what he envisioned come true. But some of his decisions/choices were questionable and did make him look like an ***.

yea he wasn't evil we just don't even know how some of his questionable decisions came to be. I mean it's like telling the Rangers where the Terror Toad's weakness was since we don't know if he originally knew that or if he found it out through other measures during the fight.
That whole theory that Zordon is evil is as dumb, idiotic, moronic and foolish as Shuki's idea was to use a pathetic child Ranger.

Zordon's Legacy Exposed 04/06/18 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 75728)
yea he wasn't evil we just don't even know how some of his questionable decisions came to be. I mean it's like telling the Rangers where the Terror Toad's weakness was since we don't know if he originally knew that or if he found it out through other measures during the fight.
That whole theory that Zordon is evil is as dumb, idiotic, moronic and foolish as Shuki's idea was to use a pathetic child Ranger.

I don't believe Zordon was evil. He believed he was serving the greater good. He just wasn't afraid to do anything to get what he wanted. He was definitely dangerous . Just less dangerous then the UAE. Zordon controlling the Earth wouldn't have been a good thing though.

MattEmily 04/06/18 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zordon's Legacy Exposed (Post 75732)
I don't believe Zordon was evil. He believed he was serving the greater good. He just wasn't afraid to do anything to get what he wanted. He was definitely dangerous . Just less dangerous then the UAE. Zordon controlling the Earth wouldn't have been a good thing though.

he wasn't dangerous either that's a stupid accusation that's completely baseless and an insult on his character. He did what needed to be done to save the world and he did it the honorable way.

Miki1988 04/06/18 02:17 PM

If he would be evil, he wouldn't choose 5 teenagers to SAVE the World, but to CONQUER it. Which is something I can't even imagine Zordon even coming up with, let alone considering it.

And he did die in an honorable way - at the hands of a Power Ranger, honoring every single Ranger he chose to fight evil on a daily basis.

Astro Omega 04/07/18 08:04 AM

The guy died saving the universe. If he was evil he would have told Andros to help him escape so he himself could live.

KimandTommy 04/07/18 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 75736)
he wasn't dangerous either that's a stupid accusation that's completely baseless and an insult on his character. He did what needed to be done to save the world and he did it the honorable way.

I agree..Zordon was like a father to them all. He wasn't evil or a menace. He also always had good intentions and wasn't vandictive at all.

Rossovan 04/08/18 12:48 PM

To me the switch to Zeo was all about making things easier and cheaper to film.

By MMPR series 3 they were using stuff from 3 different Sentai series and that meant filming more original footage, so that no doubt created troubles when trying to combine footage from Japan to match up. Not changing the Rangers suits made for some badly edited fight scenes but obviously Saban wanted to keep things looking the same as best he could so he didn't lose/upset fans who'd loved the show from the beginning.

As for the White Ranger in Zeo? Not for me, if you're going to finally ditch the MMPR suits you might as well change the lot.

Personally i liked Zeo, it felt like a natural change and a positive one. Turbo seemed rushed, i know stuff was filmed for the Turbo movie that wasn't included in the final film which would of explained things better. Maybe we'll see it one day?

Zeo Forever 04/14/18 11:56 AM

White Ranger was a flop. Tommy lost a lot of his appeal after he became White Ranger. They had to move his character into the traditional Red Ranger Role and it worked perfectly.

lunarwolf 04/21/18 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=White Spandex Rules;75702]I think it would have made more sense to keep Tommy as White Ranger during Zeo. That way Billy could have remained on the team.
billy worked in the power chamber the actor David Yost left the show. Yost left the show toward the end of the Power Rangers Zeo season. His character's final episode employed footage from previous episodes and voice work from an uncredited actor to conceal the fact that Yost was not present during the taping. A tribute to his character was seen in the closing credits of this episode.

Astronema 04/21/18 11:57 AM

They didn't know Billy was leaving at the start of Zeo. Yost quit while production of the second half was going on.

MattEmily 04/21/18 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rossovan (Post 75764)
To me the switch to Zeo was all about making things easier and cheaper to film.

By MMPR series 3 they were using stuff from 3 different Sentai series and that meant filming more original footage, so that no doubt created troubles when trying to combine footage from Japan to match up. Not changing the Rangers suits made for some badly edited fight scenes but obviously Saban wanted to keep things looking the same as best he could so he didn't lose/upset fans who'd loved the show from the beginning.

As for the White Ranger in Zeo? Not for me, if you're going to finally ditch the MMPR suits you might as well change the lot.

Personally i liked Zeo, it felt like a natural change and a positive one. Turbo seemed rushed, i know stuff was filmed for the Turbo movie that wasn't included in the final film which would of explained things better. Maybe we'll see it one day?

not completely correct but you're somewhat correct they didn't care if the footage came out badly edited but the main driving force between the switch was a ratings decline hence why the Aquitians came to kind of ease the younger audience into the switch to Zeo.

Ground footage was just weirdly edited in mostly Season 2 the majority of the ground footage in Season 3 was all new so if it was badly edited it was just a case of the editor not doing a good editing job.

However it was time for them to switch to new suits at that time since they didn't even get all of the Ohranger suits.

MattEmily 04/21/18 07:44 PM

I mean out of the Ohranger villain suits we saw they had the following:

King Mondo (both forms)
Queen Machina
Prince Sprocket
Klank (some claim his suit got re-made but I don't see it.) (NOTE: Orbus isn't a suit he's just a puppet)
Louie Kaboom
Prince Gasket
Princess Archerina
Cogs

Hydro Contaminator
Mechanizer (never had original footage)
Silo
Defoliator
Mean Screen
RoboCupid
Boohoo the Clown
Puppetman
Defector
Fortissimodo
People Pitcher
Varox
Main Drain
Punch-a-bunch
Wrecking Ball
Mace Face
Autochthon
Admiral Abominator
Goggleheimer
Wolfbane
Altor (all in original footage)
Tarantabot (never had original footage)
Somnibot
Leaky Faucet
Tough Tusks
Stenchy
Midas Monster
Cruel Chrome
Protectron
Nuklifier
Mechaterpillar
Impursonator
Pumpkin Sorcerer
originally called Bucket of Bolts but now called Loconut

MMPR Mania 04/22/18 12:15 PM

I just don't understand why they thought it weas a good idea to ditch Zedd and Rita.

MattEmily 04/22/18 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMPR Mania (Post 75839)
I just don't understand why they thought it weas a good idea to ditch Zedd and Rita.

simply because they didn't want to do that much original footage if you notice Zeo is one of the rare seasons that does NOT have original zord suit footage

Rossovan 04/23/18 04:14 AM

I liked that Zedd and Rita were in Zeo, even if they were just running from the Machine Empire. I was disappointed however that after proclaiming "we're back" during the season finale that we rarely saw them after.

Given the majority of the Power Ranger episodes follow the same basic plot there's only so much millage you can get from the same cast and suits, changing the Ranger suits and Villains helps keep the viewers attention, otherwise it's just another 40/50 episodes of what's gone before.

Goldar's Revenge 04/28/18 12:09 PM

The original plan was for the two to be the main villians in Turbo. But Zedd's actor head me unavalible. Plus they dropped all the left over plots from Zeo anyway.

MMPR Forever 04/28/18 12:10 PM

I was hoping the nightmare was over and that MMPR was coming back. But it wasn't to be.

MattEmily 04/28/18 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldar's Revenge (Post 75871)
The original plan was for the two to be the main villians in Turbo. But Zedd's actor head me unavalible. Plus they dropped all the left over plots from Zeo anyway.

you mean Zedd's voice actor; Robert Axelrod was unavailable?

Goldar's Revenge 04/29/18 08:32 PM

Yes, thank you.

Omega Black 04/29/18 08:33 PM

Why would they include old footage in Zeo when they were trying to avoid doing that?

Miki1988 04/30/18 10:39 AM

That's right. They would also have to rely on the old footage, keep editing it differently into the episodes and also Robert Axelrod would still have to do new ADR dialogue to make the footage even work. Same goes for the voice actors of Rita's and Zedd's henchmen. In which case, it would have meant it's better to film new footage anyway and that would have meant for them having to re-make the suits for Rito, Scorpina, Goldar, Squat and Baboo since most of those were already at the end of their days anyway. I actually believe that Scorpina's suit was unusable by the start of MMPR S3.

If Turbo were to happen with Rita & Zedd, I would imagine the henchmen being defeated by the Turbo Rangers early in the season so new ones could be introduced anyway. Which would probably end up as Porto and Elgar serving under Zedd & Rita. Plus The Tengas would be retired since they were going to use the Piranhatrons, because they were in the Turbo Movie anyway (well, the movie version of them).

MattEmily 04/30/18 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miki1988 (Post 75887)
That's right. They would also have to rely on the old footage, keep editing it differently into the episodes and also Robert Axelrod would still have to do new ADR dialogue to make the footage even work. Same goes for the voice actors of Rita's and Zedd's henchmen. In which case, it would have meant it's better to film new footage anyway and that would have meant for them having to re-make the suits for Rito, Scorpina, Goldar, Squat and Baboo since most of those were already at the end of their days anyway. I actually believe that Scorpina's suit was unusable by the start of MMPR S3.

If Turbo were to happen with Rita & Zedd, I would imagine the henchmen being defeated by the Turbo Rangers early in the season so new ones could be introduced anyway. Which would probably end up as Porto and Elgar serving under Zedd & Rita. Plus The Tengas would be retired since they were going to use the Piranhatrons, because they were in the Turbo Movie anyway (well, the movie version of them).

old footage? what old footage? the only stuff that was recycled was the evil lair, Zordon, some base scenes, weapon summonings, zord summonings and zord combination.

Dunno about Squatt and Baboo's since they never did anything but Goldar's suit was newer since the Toei one had already given out on them. Probably true with Scorpina's

the Piranhatrons were only introduce to go along better with the Subcraft but if Rita and Zedd were going to be in charge then they likely would've made something else.

Saban Fan 05/15/18 11:39 AM

Saban made a creative decision to not use Zedd and Rita for Turbo afterall. I am sure he knew best.