Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers General Discussion (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Mystic Mother made no sense (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=6182)

Captain Codfish 12/27/14 06:56 PM

Mystic Mother made no sense

Not only was Mystic Mother corny, she made no sense. Rita was purified in C2D and was young looking . Not only does she look like season 1 Rita, it doesn't add up. Mystic Mother is the source of all good magic and seemingly has been in power for centuries. Yet Rita has only been purified for several years at that point. It just makes no sense.

MMPR Forever 12/27/14 07:00 PM

Re: Mystic Mother made no sense

I didn't like MF. But I loved Rita as Mystic Mother. It made sense for someone like me that only counts MMPR. So the timeline makes a lot more sense for me. It was a cool nod to MMPR. I apreciated it and wished she was in the whole season. Too bad they couldn't get Barbara Goodsen and had to settle for someone that could sound like her.

Sentai Is Forever 12/27/14 07:03 PM

I liked it since it gave the season finalie a very sentai feel. Also it was a nice tribute to Soga. I wish they could have had her speak japanese but I know why they couldn't do that.

Galaxy Supreme 12/27/14 07:06 PM

Diffinitly made no sense. It was a poor way to handle bringing Rita back. She should have been the mentor all season. It seemed so random to suddenly have a Mystic Mother right as the season ended. They shoehorned Mystic Mother in with a poorly executed nod to the past.

Superstatler 12/27/14 08:59 PM

It was just supposed to be a cool nod to the past. I think people have always made too big a deal of it. Its really not a big deal for Rita to be Mystic Mother. It was a cool tribute to Soga and the old Rita long term fans remember.

Kilobyte 12/27/14 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Is Forever (Post 50396)
I liked it since it gave the season finalie a very sentai feel. Also it was a nice tribute to Soga. I wish they could have had her speak japanese but I know why they couldn't do that.

That would have been unneeded. Plus make no sense since its not like PR ever uses Japanese for the Sentai scenes.

MattEmily 12/27/14 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Codfish (Post 50394)
Not only was Mystic Mother corny, she made no sense. Rita was purified in C2D and was young looking . Not only does she look like season 1 Rita, it doesn't add up. Mystic Mother is the source of all good magic and seemingly has been in power for centuries. Yet Rita has only been purified for several years at that point. It just makes no sense.

I don't know how you can call it corny since it's not.
Also it makes complete sense. Yes she was purified by the Z-Wave and was younger back then but REMEMBER that was done because of Finster's creation as a trick to get Zedd to marry her. She would have no reason to continue applying that creation so she would be back to the older aappearance.
Yes Mystic Mother is the source of good magic so it still makes sense and completely adds up. Yes she was purified by the Z-Wave and was evil for quite awhile but that doesn't really change anything regarding her background.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMPR Forever (Post 50395)
I didn't like MF. But I loved Rita as Mystic Mother. It made sense for someone like me that only counts MMPR. So the timeline makes a lot more sense for me. it was a cool nod to MMPR. I apreciated it and wished she was in the whole season. Too bad they couldn't get Barbara Goodsen and had to.settle for someone that could.sound like her.

Indeed but technically they didn't want to hire an union actor to do Mystic Mother's voice so it wasn't a case that they couldn't get Barbara for the voice, it was a case of them not wanting to get her.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sentai Is Forever (Post 50396)

I disagree with the Sentai feel but I do agree that it was a nice tribute to Soga. Definitely no to the speaking Japanese part.

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaxy supreme (Post 50397)
Diffinitly made no sense. It was a poor way to handle bringing Rita back. She should have been the mentor all season. It seemed so random to suddenly have a Mystic Mother right as the season ended. They shoehorned Mystic Mother in with a poorly executed no to the past.

It wasn't poor at all. She was there the whole season just in the Mystic Realm so you never saw her until The Master started his attack.
I disagree that they shoehorned her in and I disagree it was a poorly executed nod to the past.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstatler (Post 50399)
It was just supposed to be a cool nod to the past. I think people have always made too big a deal of it. Its really not a big deal for Rita to be Mystic Mother. It was a cool tribute to Soga and the old Rita long term fans remember.

I agree. Not to mention it's perfectly reasonable for Rita to be the Mystic Mother. Just because she was evil doesn't mean she can't be the Mystic Mother as well. She would have still been the Mystic Mother while she was evil.

Captain Codfish 12/28/14 11:41 AM

I just thought all the one liners she added in the final battle made things look goofy. The whole dubbed in over Sentai footage for humans doesn't work like it did in season 1. Mystic Mother was just kind of goofy to me. If she was in just a few scenes it would have been different.

So you're saying the Mystic Realm was ruled by Evil before C2D? Gotta admit thats an interesting thought.

MattEmily 12/28/14 12:45 PM

yup it's entirely possible and it is an interesting thought indeed.
Rita would have still been naturally the Mystic Mother inside herself even while she was evil. She might not have been aware of it however due to the darkness of her own heart at the time controlling her to the point of wanting to get revenge on Zordon for imprisoning her.

I actually did like the lines she said in the finale since they were continuity lines and you have to hear Rita and her catchphrase otherwise she wouldn't be Rita if you don't hear her "you're giving me a headache" catchphrase."

Lord Leo 12/28/14 02:28 PM

I don't consider Mystic Mother Rita Repulsa. She was just someone that sounded like her and was supposed to be a tribute to her. They just had the same first name and were once evil.

MattEmily 12/28/14 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Leo (Post 50446)
I don't consider Mystic Mother Rita Repulsa. She was just someone that sounded like her and was supposed to be a tribute to her. They just had the same first name and were once evil.

That makes no sense.

She is Rita, it was specifically stated to be such. That's like saying the Alpha 6 in "Overdrive" wasn't Alpha 6 despite him saying his name.

Destiny Defeated 12/28/14 08:30 PM

She was diffinitly Rita. But I agree that the timeline doesn't made sense.

Astronema 12/28/14 09:32 PM

I thought it was pretty cool. It was a nice nod to the past. I didn't worry about it. Matt makes some good arguements why it works out anyway.

MattEmily 06/07/16 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astronema (Post 50482)
I thought it was pretty cool. It was a nice nod to the past. I didn't worry about it. Matt makes some good arguements why it works out anyway.

yea Rita being Mystic Mother is one thing that makes sense whereas there are tons of other things in their universe that doesn't make any sense at all.

Mastadon Ranger 08/25/16 11:06 PM

I remember being confused myself when I watched the episode. But I figured they just wanted to use Rita. She wasn't major part of the season so it wasn't a big deal.

Captain Codfish 08/26/16 11:13 PM

It was just a lame attempt to shoehorn in continuity. But it did work as a Soga tribute.

Massive Ego 08/29/16 03:48 PM

The writers didn't care about continuity and tried to kiss up to the disgruntled fans by using Rita. All the while making a lame rip off of "Countdown to Destruction".Most people were smart enough to see through this. The writers seem to think the fans are dumb and will take anything they force fed them. At least during he Disney and Neo Saban eras.

MattEmily 08/29/16 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive Ego (Post 57450)
The writers didn't care about continuity and tried to kiss up to the disgruntled fans by using Rita. All the while making a lame rip off of "Countdown to Destruction".Most people were smart enough to see through this. The writers seem to think the fans are dumb and will take anything they force fed them. At least during he Disney and Neo Saban eras.

hilarious that you honestly believe that the writers didn't care about continuity and that you actually believe using Rita was a way to kiss the fans' butts that's the most hilarious and the most ridiculous thing that I've ever heard that came from you on top of which you honestly believe that anything in Mystic Fate was even remotely similar to Countdown to Destruction.

Captain Codfish 09/04/16 11:11 AM

I agree he is off base at times. But I will say "Mystic Fate" had a lot of C2D elements to it that felt forced. This was curiously after Kalish claimed to finally watch old episodes, including C2D

Vida The Vampire Slayer 09/04/16 11:13 AM

I thought it was pretty cool. Who knows what happened after Countdown anyway. Rita as Mystic Mother was a nice surprise. I also liked how they tried to put their own spin on Countdown.

Usagi Reborn 09/04/16 11:15 AM

I never liked Mystic Force anyway. It was a lame attempt to captalize on Harry Potter. Nick had way too much focus in the insufferable Light Storyline.

Jen's Revenge 09/04/16 11:26 AM

Mystic Force was way too much Nick. At the expense of many of the other characters. At least Xander got some focus.

Rita's Pita 09/05/16 08:45 PM

I liked seeing Rita again. I don't think its impossible she became Mystic Mother. Its just a case of using different actors between the originals, "Countdown", and "Fate".

Lightspeed Zeo 09/06/16 08:56 PM

I never liked the reference. It didn't make any sense. And really I had no real desire to see Rita again. But if it was a tribute to Soga, I can understand why they did it.

Captain Mutiny 09/06/16 09:13 PM

The whole thing made no sense. If they wanted to do a tribute they could have had her be Rita's sister or something. I would have accepted that. But Rita as the source of all good just didn't jive. Especially when she basically seemed powerless after C2D.

They also used Mystic Mother far too much in the second part. It was pretty cringe-worthy. And it was all out of the left field since she was never mentioned before.

KimandTommy 09/06/16 09:20 PM

You guys overthink things too much. The Rita thing was awesome! So good to see part of MMPR back. Even if it wasn't for very long.

MMPR Forever 09/06/16 09:23 PM

Yeah, it was the best part of MF for me. Anything that has to do with MMPR just feels so special. The few times the show has referenced that makes it interested. I wish Rita could have come back full time.

Starlight Starbrite 09/07/16 08:22 PM

Just a bad attempt to carter to the fans. They tried to hard to do that during the Kalish regime.

Khan's Wrath 09/08/16 08:25 PM

I think the young age potion Finister gave her in season 2 just wore off. Being good now , Rita wouldn't be so vain to need a new one.

MattEmily 09/08/16 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Mutiny (Post 57574)
The whole thing made no sense. If they wanted to do a tribute they could have had her be Rita's sister or something. I would have accepted that. But Rita as the source of all good just didn't jive. Especially when she basically seemed powerless after C2D.

They also used Mystic Mother far too much in the second part. It was pretty cringe-worthy. And it was all out of the left field since she was never mentioned before.

I disagree and we have no clue if she was powerless when the Z-Wave hit her all we know is that it had purified her that doesn't mean it took away her powers.

Out of left field? I can name tons of things in Power Rangers that have never been mentioned before until the plot needs something to make the show interesting.

Scorpina was never mentioned before even though Alpha knew of her.
The Green Power Coin was never mentioned before even though Zordon was aware of it.
Zordon already knew about the Thunderzords he had ready to go but didn't say anything about them until Zedd appeared and had taken control of the Dinozords and Dragonzord.
Zordon already knew about Rito, Master Vile and the Alien Rangers.
He was aware of who the Machine Empire was even though no one knew who they were except for the villains.
He knew who Auric the Conqueror was even though we had never heard anything about him before.
He knew about Divatox, Maligore and the Blue Senturion.
He knew that Tommy was the evil Green Ranger even though only Rita and her forces should've known that.
He knew that Astronema was truly Karone even though no one would've told him that since he had only been around villains for pretty much all of the Space season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khan's Wrath (Post 57596)
I think the young age potion Finister gave her in season 2 just wore off. Being good now , Rita wouldn't be so vain to need a new one.

exactly plus on top of which the moon mud was just made by Finster to make Rita look younger in a further attempt to trick Zedd into marrying her and since she was no longer evil after the Z-Wave hit her there would be no reason to continue with that plan.

Itzy Bitzy Carter 09/09/16 05:05 PM

The problem is though, Mystic Mother is supposed to be this supreme being that ruled the magical realm for thousands of years. It just doesn't fit with the canon of the show. Since Rita was trapped in the dumbster all those years. Its lazy writing. Just like they did with Thrax in OO.

White Tiger Fan 09/10/16 12:02 PM

No ones really being able to do references to the past right since Amit and Doug.

Sentai Is Forever 09/12/16 10:39 PM

I liked it. It was a good nod to the Sentai and Soga. PR continuity has no importance to me anyway. I would rather take every season like its own American Sentai. Even if the Japanese Sentai is much better.

Super Zeo Omega 09/12/16 11:23 PM

I loved it! I never liked what happened to Rita in Space anyway. Rita should never have looked like a 20 something year old woman. Mystic Mother was much more of what I would expect from a good Rita.

Blue Ranger Gone Bad 09/12/16 11:26 PM

Mystic Mother made perfect sense. People just read too much into things.

Mastadon Ranger 09/12/16 11:27 PM

I thought it was a fun nod to the past. Not a big deal to me.

Sentai Snob 09/14/16 08:40 PM

Any time PR goes heavily Sentai I love it! It was good to see some Soga in Power Rangers.