Power Ranger Online Message Board

Power Ranger Online Message Board (powerrangersonline.com/index.php)
-   Power Rangers Modern Archives (powerrangersonline.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Power Rangers coming to DVD. (powerrangersonline.com/showthread.php?t=4412)

Zabitan 03/12/12 10:42 AM

Power Rangers coming to DVD.

It has just been announced that Shout Factory will be making DVDs for all the seasons of Power Rangers as well as other Saban super hero shows.

Quote:

However, the deal DOES include other Saban programs, including Big Bad Beetleborgs (a.k.a. Beetleborgs Metallix), V.R. Troopers, and the short-lived live-action show Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. The HMM story by John Latchem reports that the "Initial rollout plans for the Saban are slated to begin in summer 2012, according to Shout! Factory, with single-season sets to start and potentially complete-series sets in the future."

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16646#ixzz1ouvfTPsb
Needless to say I'm excited about this, and I hope they sell good.

MattEmily 03/12/12 01:22 PM

Re: VR Troopers coming to DVD.

Me too, me too, me too, me too. I'm truly excited for this DVD release. Too bad we'll never see any decent bonus features though.

Zabitan 03/12/12 06:45 PM

I don't know there's a lot of VR Troopers stuff I didn't even know existed or I did but didn't how much it got actually made until it got put on the internet:

The Cybertron pilot

the dubbed spoof made by the cast

PSAs

Next time on promos

So who knows it might have stuff we don't even know about. Though I'll be happy they just have commentaries for all the episodes.

Honestly that's only reason I'm debating whether to just get the single season sets or wait for the box set.

MattEmily 03/12/12 08:36 PM

Maybe, maybe not. Some of those PSAs might not even be property of Saban for all we know.

PRangerX 03/13/12 08:47 PM

This is huge news. A day people have been waiting for for some time.

Zabitan 03/13/12 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PRangerX (Post 43503)
This is huge news. A day people have been waiting for for some time.

Indeed.

Anything you want to see on the DVDs?

MattEmily 03/14/12 03:02 AM

I for one am very happy about this news.

For me, I'd like unseen footage for Power Rangers, VRT, Beetleborgs and Masked Rider.

PRangerX 03/14/12 07:06 PM

I'd love to have special features and lost footage. But thats probably not going to happen. Most of the lost footage is in the hands of fans anyway.

Zabitan 03/14/12 07:37 PM

I hear ya that's the kind of stuff I'd be interested in seeing if it exists like Behind the scenes stuff where they show how they filmed things.

Also like I said earlier I would like to see commentaries by the cast and crew where they explain how they made stuff or came up with it.

MattEmily 03/20/12 01:47 PM

Even though this thread is for VR Troopers on DVD, I think we should rename the thread title and just make it the general thread for all of the series that Shout Factory will be releasing on Saban's behalf. Any objections?

Anyway I also would like to see commentaries by cast and crew as well but preferably just by the cast and the prop maker. Also I'd like to hear a commentary by at least 1 writer to hear everything that they do before they write an episode.

Anyway I saw this over on the Shout Factory board.

Quote:

Most requested: Original, unadulterated versions of each episode
•This obviously includes Time Force episodes as they were before the 9/11 edits.
•This should include the "Today On" and "Next Time" segments. These were especially interesting when the "Next Time" previews included footage not ever seen in the episode they referenced. (Presumably these would be skippable via the scene-advance button.)
•TV and home video version of "I'm Dreaming of a White Ranger."
•Seamless multi-parters when they were aired that way.

(Many people seem to agree that the above section is the requirement for the DVDs to be considered satisfactory; other requests would then be considered optional.)

Popular requests (in no particular order):
• Captions if available.
•Blooper segments as aired in end credits (including any that may have been edited together but covered up by network promos). Previously unseen bloopers and behind-the-scenes footage would also be a treat, especially for seasons that never got blooper segments.
•The famed Bioman pilot, if it still exists.
•The original pilot version of "Day of the Dumpster" (begins in a bowling alley). Note the existence of a (truly unaired) version that's more violent as opposed to the watered-down version that aired in the 1999 "Lost Episode" special.
•Zeo serial: All segments of the "It's Coming" Zeo serial that aired before MMPR season 3 reruns.
•Deleted scenes if available (notably from "Countdown to Destruction" and "Forever Red").
•Alternate versions of episodes if available and radically different from the aired versions (notably "Foul Play in the Sky" and "Doomsday").

Other items requested somewhat frequently (not necessarily deal-breakers if omitted):
• Audio commentaries for select episodes, crew interviews.
•Episodes in the "right" order (if such an order can even be established).
•The "making of" a typical episode (from raw sentai episode to written script to filming, editing, and ADR).
•Public service announcements.
•Assorted commercials (notably toy commercials).
•Assorted specials (mostly direct-to-video): MMPR Fan Club Video; Alpha's Magical Christmas; Lord Zedd's Monster Heads; The Good, the Bad, and the Stupid; Power Playback: Power Rangers Funniest Moments; Dino Thunder's SPD preview
•At least a mention of each season's sentai source.
•Uncut Zyu2 battles
I edited some of that quote to avoid any links so that I wouldn't have to re-add any links.

Here's what Brian, 1 of the guys in charge of working on the DVDs had to say in regards to that list.

Quote:

Most of the items on that list have already been discussed between our consultant, Saban and myself. Unfortunately, there are certain things there that won't be making the set's list of bonus features, for various reasons, but there are quite a few there that we're in the process of acquiring now. I think fans will be pleased over all.
Any guesses on what will and won't be making the list out of what is listed? We probably won't get any PSAs since I believe PSAs were usually ordered by Fox Kids and those would likely be property of Fox Kids itself which means Disney probably still has all rights to the PSAs and related show commercials. Bandai I would assume would have the rights to toy commercials though.

I also can't see the Bioman pilot ever seeing the light of day either. It's doubtful anyone even remembers it and if they do, they probably have no clue where it went to.

It'd be nice if we could get the Zyu2 footage though so we could see the unedited version of all Zyu2 footage so we could get that cleared up but it's probably doubtful that it even exists anymore and if it does, Toei probably has it but doesn't know where they put it.

Zabitan 03/20/12 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 43519)
Even though this thread is for VR Troopers on DVD, I think we should rename the thread title and just make it the general thread for all of the series that Shout Factory will be releasing on Saban's behalf. Any objections?

I guess you're right I just figured someone would have already given Power Rangers it's own thread by now, and hardly anyone was posting in this forum, and I thought this would get to come here.

I'll move, and rename it.

MattEmily 03/21/12 12:13 AM

Re: Power Rangers, VR Troopers, BeetleBorgs, and Ninja Turtles TNM coming to DVD.

You have a point. Once the VR Troopers DVD news begins to leak, we can make a thread in regards to that in order to get people to go in there. I try and pay attention to any news I get. I also get emails coming from TV Shows On DVD as well.

This thread should just be a general discussion in regards to all of the releases that Saban Brands will be doing through Shout Factory. As well as what people might want on the DVDs.

We can always make individual ones (discussion threads) later on. I just thought it'd be better as a general thread since it wasn't just talking about VR Troopers itself entirely.

Also it seems like the consultant Brian is speaking with is actually someone within the fandom.

Here's some things that I'd like to see with Power Rangers, Beetleborgs and VR Troopers.

First up is Power Rangers.
I'd like all uncut footage including stuff we haven't seen such as complete Zyu2 footage, complete Zyu 1.5 footage as well as any unseen episodes such as the original version of "Foul Play in the Play" and the first ep they had Patricia shoot in "Galaxy" before she decided to walk over salary issues. Not to mention I'd also like to see any different scenes with "Doomsday" if it's on tape like for example if they have any footage of Soga filming for them for those eps.

I'd also like to get a commentary from mostly Saban and Tony Oliver themselves to hear what they had to do in regards to the show. As well as commentaries by popular writers such as Chip and Jackie-mite. (bonus points if someone gets my Jackie-mite joke.)

Second of all, VR Troopers is next. Obviously anything uncut and of course any bloopers.
I'd like a commentary by the main 2 writers and at least by 1 of the cast. Probably either Brad or Sarah.
I don't know what else they could really do there other than include the Cybertron pilot.

Beetleborgs. Not much I can request. Just unseen footage and bloopers. Also I'd like to see a 'making of' for Flabber and all of the Hillhurst Monsters including Little Ghoul.
I'd also like to hear commentary including in regards to what happened with the 1st Jo actress. It's such a mysterious with the reasons as to her leave of absence. Did she leave just because she wanted to? Did she leave because she got a better offer? Did she leave because she didn't want to act anymore?

Mad Dragon 03/21/12 05:55 AM

Re: Power Rangers, VR Troopers, BeetleBorgs, and Ninja Turtles TNM coming to DVD.

Wasn't Forever Red supposed to go for like an hour until Disney told them to cut it? I'd like to see all the footage they omitted from that episode.

MattEmily 03/21/12 03:46 PM

Indeed but not a lot of that stuff was actually shot.

Amit wanted to include things such as Kat pulling up to pick up Tommy (and Kat would be seen wearing her Zeonizer to imply that she's working as Zeo Ranger 1) and that he wanted her and Tommy to be married but such a scene wasn't ever shot.

Most of the cut scenes that were shot have found their way online.

MattEmily 03/21/12 08:46 PM

Power Rangers Samurai (not Super Samurai, just Samurai) is coming to DVD in June.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16690

MattEmily 03/23/12 01:18 AM

More news in regards to Samurai on DVD.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/16697#ixzz1psKOTROw

Looks like they will be including various bonus features such as their auditions and their training off-camera. Also... did I read that right? Are they finally including bloopers? Wow, amazing. Looks like I'm gonna be buying them then.

Zabitan 04/13/12 07:38 PM

I just thought of something else.

How about interviews with the cast and crew?

MattEmily 04/13/12 08:49 PM

That'd be cool. Sounds like they're interviewing some people. Brian Ward, 1 of the main guys working on the Shout! Factory DVDs stated he was in Force/Balance not too long ago.

MattEmily 05/09/12 07:59 AM

Looks like the press release has came.

Quote:

7-season pack to be online only, as is a six-disc 'Complete 1st Season' set; Shout! puts 'Season 1, Part 2' in stores this fall, following the August 21st 'Part 1' debut.

Fans will have the first opportunity to collect upcoming box sets through a Time Life direct-response television and online campaign. Shout! Factory has teamed up with Time Life to make Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season One 6-DVD set and the 40-DVD collection of Power Rangers: Seasons One - Seven directly available to fans starting July 30, 2012 through Time Life's direct-response on-air TV campaign, as well as online.

MMPR's Volume 1 will have the first 30 episodes and it will be released on August 21. Looks like there will be 3 discs included in the set. Volume 2 will do the same.
The Power Rangers Seasons 1-7 40-DVD bonus collection (which will cover all of the Zordon-era as well as Galaxy) will include bonus features such as "a retrospective featurette on the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers phenomenon, brand-new interviews with members of the cast and the creative team, and much more!"

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mig...#ixzz1uNAqnFUW

Zabitan 05/09/12 11:10 PM

That kicks ass. Now we just have to wait for the other shows. Though I will say that if this is typical of how all the other shows are going to be done I'll just wait for the VR Troopers box set.

MattEmily 05/09/12 11:16 PM

Indeed, same here however here's some more info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward
The individual seasons won't have bonus content. We're making the big collections to meet the demands of the hardcore fans.

The 40-disc set is actually two sets. A 19-disc complete MMPR and a 21-disc Seasons 4-7. Bonus content is appropriate per set.

Zabitan 05/09/12 11:28 PM

Meh just like I said I'll just wait for the box set.

MattEmily 05/09/12 11:40 PM

Much like I said as well. Bonus material is mostly what I'm after anyway.

Zabitan 05/09/12 11:51 PM

Me too up until now I've been debating with myself if should just get the DVDs when they come out or wait for the box set, and I decided that it would depend on the bonus features they would have.

I guess I should have just said that.

MattEmily 05/09/12 11:53 PM

Indeed but I think it's a better option to go for the boxset especially since it's a 40-disc boxset. How often do you see something that huge?

Plus we are hardcore fans, LOL.

Zabitan 05/10/12 12:03 AM

Never in fact up until I heard that I didn't think you could do that sounds like it would go into the hundreds if not thousands range just on it's own.

Don't get me wrong I'll get it it just might take me a while to even save up for it.

MattEmily 05/10/12 10:42 AM

who knows how much it's going to be but it'll likely cost us an arm and a leg, LOL. It is unheard of though but hey, I'm not complaining. Makes it easier for my DVD shelf to organize.

MattEmily 05/10/12 04:31 PM

Just so visitors understand what's going on with the 40 disc set since 1 of Brian Ward's recent tweets has confused some of his twitter followers. He tweeted them yesterday, just for the record.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Ward
Regarding the tweet I sent out into the world yesterday, it was a bit of a miscommunication, due to the unfortunate 140-character limit of Twitter. The 40-disc collection is NOT two collections. It's one collection being offered. But I'm basically organizing it all by thinking of it as two separate halves. There's MMPR which then has appropriate bonus content that breaks up the collection before you get to ZEO - Lost Galaxy, which will then have its own bonus content.

Zabitan 05/12/12 01:46 PM

Apparently the MMPR-Lost Galaxy mega set is going to be $200-$300 which if it's true that it's coming out in fall means I can just wait and get it for my birthday, or Christmas.

Now I just need to wait for news about the VR Troopers DVDs.

MattEmily 05/13/12 10:49 PM

I'd say it'll probably be around $200, definitely a little extra but not a big deal. It's only being sold through Time Life and they usually offer monthly installment options.

Anyway it sounds like Brian Ward (the main guy over at Shout! Factory that is working on the DVDs) has been interviewing various people.

It sounds like his twitter account is implying that he has interviewed 1 of the MMPR series casting Directors, the one that discovered the original cast and it also sounds like he has interviewed Sophia Crawford. Sophia was the stunt double for the MMPR Pink Ranger but mostly apparently just during the time while Kimberly was around. Sophia is also known as Buffy's stunt double from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

MattEmily 05/21/12 05:42 PM

Here's some more new info. This is only in regards to the special 40 disc collection that will only be available through Time Life. You will not be able to get it anywhere else at all.

Here is what SamuraiCast is reporting.
  1. Complete Set from MMPR-Galaxy
  2. 40 disc set which will total 338 episodes
  3. 2 Bonus DVDs for Bonus Features
  4. Bonuses includes rarely seen archival material
  5. Exclusive New Featurettes
  6. Interviews with Cast, Creators and Fans
  7. An exclusive and rare MMPR action figure will be included as well

The price is stated to be at $219.95.

MattEmily 05/21/12 06:01 PM

Lionsgate has announced the release of Super Samurai on DVD.

TV Shows on DVD announces Lionsgate's release of Power Rangers Super Samurai on DVD

Zabitan 05/21/12 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattEmily (Post 43804)
Here's some more new info. This is only in regards to the special 40 disc collection that will only be available through Time Life. You will not be able to get it anywhere else at all.

Here is what SamuraiCast is reporting.
  1. Complete Set from MMPR-Galaxy
  2. 40 disc set which will total 338 episodes
  3. 2 Bonus DVDs for Bonus Features
  4. Bonuses includes rarely seen archival material
  5. Exclusive New Featurettes
  6. Interviews with Cast, Creators and Fans
  7. An exclusive and rare MMPR action figure will be included as well

The price is stated to be at $219.95.

That's cool.:eek: :)

MattEmily 05/21/12 07:13 PM

Indeed it is however it (the info provided at the link) has been removed for the time being.

MattEmily 05/22/12 11:00 PM

Here's the commercial advertising the release of Samurai. It'll be available on DVD and as a digital download.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98fAd3NxaWs

MattEmily 06/05/12 09:16 PM

Power Rangers, VR Troopers, BeetleBorgs, and Ninja Turtles TNM coming to DVD.

TV Shows on DVD has released the necessary info that has confirmed that Time Life's website is now accepting pre-orders.

You will get the full 338 episodes covering the first season throug and including Lost Galaxy, the last season that one could consider to be the Zordon-era.

It is also confirmed that they will include 2 DVDs which will have the bonus material on them. The bonus material itself was not stated however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TV Shows on DVD
Note that there is NOT any overall "slipcase" packaging for this title: these are the same sets that Shout! Factory will be selling individually and Time Life will take the separate disc cases and the action figure, and wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you in a regular shipping carton. The price is $219.95 SRP which may sound like a lot at first but at 40 discs it breaks down to just $5.49 per DVD or putting bonus stuff aside, it's just 65¢ per episode...$31.42 per season and standard shipping is available for free. It's a great value, any way you look at it and if you cannot afford the entire $219.95 cost at once, you can break it down into 5 easy installments of $43.99 per payment. Sounds good to us!

The current planned ship date is August 6th, just a week later than what we originally reported. Time Life, Shout! Factory and Saban are working on getting a full press release to us soon; stay tuned for that!

TV Shows on DVD

Time Life's Pre-Ordering Zordon-era Power Rangers boxset page

MattEmily 06/06/12 01:26 PM

For the people up North from us (in Canada)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerCrew's twitter
Got an email from TimeLife. Canadian residents will be able to order the Power Rangers box set later today #powerrangers

MattEmily 06/06/12 07:03 PM

Here's updated info.

Quote:

We also have to clear up some confusion about one aspect of yesterday's write-up. In it, we described how "there is NOT any overall 'slipcase' packaging for this title," and went on to say that "Time Life will take the separate disc cases and the action figure, and wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you in a regular shipping carton." This info was characterized as "misleading" by an insider to this project at a Power Rangers message board, and after looking into it we agree that we didn't really describe this the best possible way.

What we were trying to communicate to our readers is this: there will not be a single slipcase (or any other sort of packaging) which houses all 7 seasons together on your shelf. What we made it sound like is that you won't get any slipcases at all, which is where we steered you wrong. Shout! Factory is producing these DVDs, and the packages, for Time Life. What they will do is take the first 3 seasons (the entire run of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) and house them in one slipcase, and then separately there will be a second slipcase housing Power Rangers: Seasons 4-7 (Zeo, Turbo, In Space and Lost Galaxy). Time Life will take those two collections, and the special bonus action figure, and those three items are what will be taken to "wrap them in bubble wrap and send them to you."

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mig...#ixzz1x3bU9qzt

Mad Dragon 06/07/12 09:55 AM

You know the most annoying thing? These are only just beginning to come out in America.... I wouldn't dare question how long it will take to get them in Australia or anywhere else =S. Might just have to get them online when they start coming out.

MattEmily 06/07/12 11:14 AM

indeed however you'd need a Region Free player.