PDA

View Full Version : Do you mind the show staying in New Zealand?

PRangerX
08/20/10, 08:00 PM
During the first 10 years of Power Rangers, the show was shot in Velenica, California. From year 11-17...production moved to New Zealand. With Saban's buyout of the show...Some people thought that maybe production would return to stateside. But its already been announced that production will resume in New Zealand. Does this dissapoint you?

For nostalgia, I'd love to see filming return to Valencia. But it just isn't realistic. Production is cheaper in NZ. It makes far more sense to shoot there. It also allows them to produce a higher quality show. Since they'd have to cut the budget to shoot in the states. We are getting 40 episodes, so shooting in NZ is important. As long as the writing and acting is good...It doesn't matter where they film. NZ is actually a great place to shoot anyway. It is a good move by Saban Brands to keep production there.

Kamen Rider Decade
09/21/14, 12:34 AM
I don't care as long as those idiot Kiwi actors stop doing fake American accents. Either they hire local actors who speak with their natural accent or import actors who can actually speak with an American accent.

Terry
I don't mind where it is filmed although I would prefer it if it was filmed in the US with American actors.

MattEmily
During the first 10 years of Power Rangers, the show was shot in Velenica, California. From year 11-17...production moved to New Zealand. With Saban's buyout of the show...Some people thought that maybe production would return to stateside. But its already been announced that production will resume in New Zealand. Does this dissapoint you?

For nostalgia, I'd love to see filming return to Valencia. But it just isn't realistic. Production is cheaper in NZ. It makes far more sense to shoot there. It also allows them to produce a higher quality show. Since they'd have to cut the budget to shoot in the states. We are getting 40 episodes, so shooting in NZ is important. As long as the writing and acting is good...It doesn't matter where they film. NZ is actually a great place to shoot anyway. It is a good move by Saban Brands to keep production there.

It's Valencia, California by the way but personally I do mind it just for the simple fact that Power Rangers used to be shot in California all the way back to MMPR until the end of Wild Force and it would have made it easier for some people to get to watch them film in some cases.

I do agree that it isn't realistic though since production is cheaper in New Zealand.

MattEmily
11/25/17, 06:13 PM

yes it did and still does disappoint me not just because of nostalgia but also because it would've been that much easier to get more actors to return for the pointless and waste-of-space Legendary Battle but I do agree that it makes far more sense for them to film there and yes while we are technically getting 40 episodes we're actually getting them spread over 2 years.

Also to reply to another user it's not the actor's choice on whether they speak with their natural accent or not that is up to the Bosses in charge of the show. I highly doubt New Zealand has a huge supply of actors who can do convincing American accents without ever slipping and the ones who would be skilled at that would be the voice actors who are only there to do voices and not screen roles that and they probably aren't interested in a screen role.
Something else to add is that a business is not going to deny someone from being on the show just because their American accent isn't good that would be an inappropriate suggestion for a business to do.

Starlord
11/25/17, 07:44 PM
Power Rangers wouldn't be the first series to feature actors pretending to speak in a different accent than their real ones.

Captain Codfish
11/25/17, 08:34 PM
The show will film in new zealand until they find a cheaper place to film and hire actors from. I am not sure if that place exists right now. Its not Velencia, California. As much as that brings old school fans nostalgia. Believe me it upset me when they moved too. But the show might not have been continued otherwise.

Psycho Silver
11/25/17, 09:00 PM
New Zealand is actually a great location to shoot from. They got a lot out of Valencia the first ten years! But NZ is actually a better place to film. And more importantly to the owners, much cheaper.

MattEmily
11/25/17, 09:44 PM
not to mention New Zealand has a lot of different stuff I don't know if it snows there but if they need anything else to try and match the Sentai footage then it's there in New Zealand. They have beaches, they have quarries and things like that and hey if they need a volcano for a scene then they have that too.

Blank Ranger
11/25/17, 10:53 PM
I don't care wnere they film, as long as the stories are good

Yellow Fan Forever
11/26/17, 06:50 AM
It shouldn't matter if the stories are good. The filming location doesn't effect my enjoyment of the show.

Mega Mission
11/26/17, 10:12 AM
I think the New Zealand Footage made Megaforce look more major league.

VR Forever
11/26/17, 10:51 AM
Its been so long that it doesn't feel like a big deal

Karone Zhane
11/26/17, 05:50 PM
They should just move back to Velencia. The money spent would be worth it

Toei Ranger
11/26/17, 11:10 PM
I think they should move production to Japan and let Toei produce Power Rangers too. If not own it outright.

Todd Oliver
11/26/17, 11:17 PM
NZ isn't bad, its just too bad it makes it harder for team ups.But at least they have managed to make some work out.

MattEmily
11/26/17, 11:25 PM
I think they should move production to Japan and let Toei produce Power Rangers too. If not own it outright.

Toei already co-owns it but I don't agree with them taking over the ownership completely since they already have Sentai, Kamen Rider and various anime to work on (not only that but they generally have issues dealing with English properties if they don't have a partner involved) but I do agree that it would be smart to move the production to Japan due to footage matching purposes not to mention instead of Saban needing to use a studio in New Zealand they could just use the same studio that Toei uses for Sentai that way if they need a set they can just use it there and they wouldn't have to worry about shipping suits over either since they would be somewhere within Toei so if Saban wanted to use a specific villain they could just get it without having a major problem with it.

Porto
11/27/17, 09:46 AM
I like the idea of Power Rangers having their own studio.

Captain Mutiny
11/27/17, 09:49 AM
Toei already co-owns it but I don't agree with them taking over the ownership completely since they already have Sentai, Kamen Rider and various anime to work on (not only that but they generally have issues dealing with English properties if they don't have a partner involved) but I do agree that it would be smart to move the production to Japan due to footage matching purposes not to mention instead of Saban needing to use a studio in New Zealand they could just use the same studio that Toei uses for Sentai that way if they need a set they can just use it there and they wouldn't have to worry about shipping suits over either since they would be somewhere within Toei so if Saban wanted to use a specific villain they could just get it without having a major problem with it.

It would seem to make sense. But it would be harder to have a diverse cast in Japan than New Zealand. You would have to fly in more foriegn actors. And any local actors you use would neee to speak english fluently.

Sentai Is Forever
11/27/17, 09:51 AM

That would be an excellent step in the rjght direction. If they must do original footage, at least it would be as close to the original as possible. Jonathon Tzachor could be hired by Saban or Toei to make sure the original footage was exactly like Sentai.

Evil Astronema
11/27/17, 10:19 AM
It doesn't matter where they film in in my eyes.

MattEmily
11/27/17, 10:23 AM
It would seem to make sense. But it would be harder to have a diverse cast in Japan than New Zealand. You would have to fly in more foriegn actors. And any local actors you use would neee to speak english fluently.

True but just because you're shooting in Japan doesn't mean you have to use Japanese actors I mean Saban could still use his own studios for ADR sessions so you could still use the Kiwi voice actors for costumed characters.

That would be an excellent step in the rjght direction. If they must do original footage, at least it would be as close to the original as possible. Jonathon Tzachor could be hired by Saban or Toei to make sure the original footage was exactly like Sentai.

Tzachor isn't returning. He was fired for a reason because his views aren't in line with the company.

Tzachor Era
11/27/17, 11:59 AM
I just want Tzachor back so he and Lynn can bring the glory days or Space-Time Force back.

MattEmily
11/27/17, 12:16 PM
I just want Tzachor back so he and Lynn can bring the glory days or Space-Time Force back.

that's not happening. Tzachor blew it. He was fired for a reason - for wasting money on 2 pathetic seasons.

No Green Spandex
11/27/17, 12:36 PM
Anything that keeps Tommy away from the series is good for me. Of course he still came back so I guess the show should move to Antarctica. Use the penguins and polar bears if you have to .

MattEmily
11/27/17, 12:39 PM
Anything that keeps Tommy away from the series is good for me. Of course he still came back so I guess the show should move to Antarctica. Use the penguins and polar bears if you have to .

Tommy isn't staying away from the series unless there's a Producer who is hired who hates him and as far as I'm aware of none of their Producers have ever hated him.

Falconzord Commander
11/27/17, 10:06 PM
New Zealand is a great place to film and find actors. It is bettse than Valencia California. And they have had plenty of returns in NZ.

Ninja Storm Fan
11/27/17, 10:29 PM
New Zealand is where NS was shot. So that alone males it more important than Valencia.

Astronema
11/29/17, 12:38 AM
I like Valencia better but I fan understand the logistics of why they ned to shoot in New Zealand.

Tommy's Dragonzord
11/29/17, 06:30 PM
My heart says go back to Valencia. But I understand why they can't. It was also a long time ago.

Super Cena
11/29/17, 06:51 PM
I would like to see them move to Canada.

Gosei Gold
12/02/17, 08:26 AM
It would be cool if they would go back to Valencia for a special episode of something. Like a return to Angel Grove.

Massive Ego
12/02/17, 11:54 AM
Moving back to Valencia won't mean a thing of they still retain the deal writing they have had since the move. The culture Disney and Saban Brands has created is so bad that it's even effected Judd Lynn. Who has shockingly wrote more of the same creepiness since his return. He even ruined RPM.

Tommy Hater
12/02/17, 05:57 PM
I agree with the idea of keeping it in NZ to make it harder for JDF to come back again.

Maligore
12/02/17, 06:15 PM
Saban is too cheap to move the show back to the states. Just like Disney was too cheap for moving to New Zealand in the first place.

Ashley Andros
12/02/17, 06:51 PM
I don't think moving back to Valencia would bring back the old days anyway.

MattEmily
12/02/17, 07:21 PM
Saban is too cheap to move the show back to the states. Just like Disney was too cheap for moving to New Zealand in the first place.

Power Rangers would've ended if they didn't take it to New Zealand granted they didn't even want to bring it back to begin it anyway but it was Doug who persuaded them to do so.

Lord Vrak
12/02/17, 07:43 PM
i would love it if Saban Brands moved back to Valencia.

MMPR Fan
12/02/17, 08:13 PM
They need to go back to California so they can bring the show back to MMPR .

Bratty Katty
12/03/17, 01:05 AM
i like both locations actually.

Pink Alien Ranger
12/03/17, 07:56 AM
i wil always have a soft spot for Valencia California but New Zealand has a lot of great locations to film. It's a beautiful country.