PDA

View Full Version : Would Green Ranger have been as popular without the Shield?

Super Cena
07/27/20, 06:44 PM
If Green Ranger had no shield...Would Tommy have been as popular?

Superstatler
07/27/20, 06:45 PM
Its sounds funny, but I am going to say no.One of the reasons why Tommy was so popular was that his suit stood out from the others.

Miki1988
07/28/20, 07:37 AM
The Green Ranger was mostly known and mostly stood out because of the sheild. It also opened the doors for power-ups from future seasons in Power Rangers altogether. Both Jason and Zach got to use it on the show too.

Besides, they ended up adapting Kibaranger in MMPR S2 because the Dairanger suits were different than the Zyuranger ones and because it convenniently resembled the Zyuranger suit set.

So the answer's no. Green Ranger wouldn't be as popular as he was without the sheild.

Todd Oliver
07/28/20, 11:30 AM
I think Tommy would have still became the star of the series. His character started out mysterious and got to save the day a lot. Plus you have JDF's charisma.

Tommy Hater
07/28/20, 11:30 AM
At least then Tommy wouldn't be insanely powerful.

Green Spandex Supreme
07/28/20, 11:31 AM
I think he still would have been a popular character. But probably not as much as he was.

Green Alien Ranger
07/28/20, 11:33 AM
I don't think the shield mattered. He still would have been popular. Besides, he would still have had the Dragonzord and Dragon Dagger. Which were the real draws for Green Ranger.

White Spandex Rules
07/28/20, 11:34 AM
Tommy would have stood out and the Green Ranger was still cool enough without the shield.

Green With Envy
07/28/20, 11:35 AM
I always thought it was surreal in Green Candle when Tommy loses the shield before de-morphing entirely.

No Green Spandex
07/28/20, 11:36 AM
I swear the Dragon Dagger was more popular with kids then the dragonzord or the shield.

MMPR Master
07/28/20, 11:43 AM
No I am going to say it would have hurt his popularity without the shield.

Hailey Hartford
07/30/20, 06:46 PM
It's no big secret but to me, Tommy was never that popular. I felt he lagged a lot of Jason't leadership skills. He actually had to be taught how to lead and even then he constantly wanted to be on his own away from the team.

I felt he was way over-rated as a character.

Miki1988
07/31/20, 06:21 AM
Way over-rated and over-used. "Dimensions In Danger" showcased that. That team up should have been about the Veteran Rangers coming together to help the Ninja Steel Rangers win a fight. Insted, what we got is a stupid Ranger cloning idea that's also badly executed. I mean, Tommy should have learned by now that when a villain comes in front of you that you don't even think twice before pressing a button on your morpher. Although I did like the Master Morpher concept and Tommy vs. Evil Tommy fight, the whole thing shifted the team-up into the Tommy-centric episode without a reason.

Besides, Tommy as a character isn't even interesting anymore since we know everything about the character there is to know. Whilst I think JDF is an awesome actor, I don't think he can contribute anything new to the TV series and the franchise as a whole anymore.

KimandTommy
07/31/20, 12:09 PM
I think Tommy was an amazing character! He still would have been popular without the shield. Most people lived for the love story between Kim and Tommy.

Scorpina Returns
07/31/20, 12:11 PM
I agree Dimensions was too Tommy Centric. Forever Red did a better job giving everyone something to do.

Sailor Zordon
07/31/20, 12:12 PM
I think Tommy was great. But the show has moved on without him and I think it doesn't need the character to anchor it. I don't mind him coming back once in awhile though.

I would say not having the Dragon Shield would have made it harder for the audience to connect with Green Ranger.

Power Morphers
07/31/20, 12:14 PM
I don't know. The shield was big. But he still had the Dragonzord and kicked all the Ranger's behinds in Green With Evil. Plus he always saved the day once he turned good.