PDA

View Full Version : If Jason Frank didn't return in season 2?

No Green Spandex
03/08/18, 07:28 PM
I was wondering if the original actors wouldn't have walked off if Frank was written off for real? Not because they didn't like Jason. But without JDF they may have been able to give the originals raises.

Boston Ranger Guy
03/08/18, 07:40 PM
JDF wasn't going to be written out And Saban wasn't given them raises in either case. Especialky not based on a strike.

MattEmily
03/08/18, 07:43 PM
JDF's return had nothing to do with it regardless of whether he was there or not the whole issue behind Walter, Thuy and Austin leaving was because of pay and the show not being union. Saban wasn't going union at that point in time no matter what now they may have been backed into a corner if the whole hero cast decided to leave but that didn't end up happening.

Starlight Supreme
03/09/18, 08:25 AM
I can't see Saban going union or giving out raises just because JDF left the series.

Wesley Smallings
03/09/18, 11:49 AM
If for some reason Frank left the show, i could see Richie taking the White Ranger Role. The cast chsngr still would have happened like it did, since it had nothing to do with JDF.

Miki1988
03/09/18, 01:56 PM
That's correct. If the cast change would be somehow connected to JDF or JDF himself would be somehow responsible for the cast change, it would be an entire different situation. But it wasn't the case.

Anyway, I don't think JDF not returning would affect season 2 in a big way, but it would mean MMPR S3, Zeo, Turbo, FR, DinoThunder and Legendary Battle with no Tommy in them. No David, no brainwashed Zeo Ranger V fighting against his teammates, T.J. would probably have the torch passed to him by someone else and Eric would not have said that the Q-Rex would eat Dragonzord for lunch. Basically, for the writers and producers, it would mean doing every single storyline involving Tommy with an entirely different character or just doing entirely different storylines.

Jen's Revenge
03/09/18, 05:38 PM
Who knows if the show would have lasted if Tommy didn't return?

Vypra's Monster
03/09/18, 07:32 PM
I think we would have had a different White Rangsr but "The Power Transfer" would have happened the same way. Like Miki said, the rest of the eaely seasons would have been much different.

No Green Spandex
03/09/18, 07:33 PM
Yes they would have been much better without Tommy.

KimandTommy
03/09/18, 07:35 PM
It would have been horrible. It was bad enough we had the cast change. But it would have been unbearable without Tommy. Especially when Tommy and Kim were just getting going.

MattEmily
03/09/18, 08:14 PM
Yes they would have been much better without Tommy.

I disagree there's no way the show would've lasted with David and A.J. as the only hero actors for even just a few episodes

Red With Evil
03/09/18, 09:12 PM
I think it would have hurt the show more.

MattEmily
03/09/18, 10:04 PM
I think it would have hurt the show more.

so do I since they were relying on Tommy, Kimberly and Billy to carry the show until the replacements for Zack, Trini and Jason came in

Miki1988
03/10/18, 05:59 AM
That's right. The three (ASJ, WEJ and TT) only appeared in the stock morphing sequence scenes, morphed ground fights, Zord/Megazord fights and their unmorphed versions either by the use of stock footage from previous episodes (mainly the Command Center scenes as Tommy is seen wearing both green and white-colored civilian clothes) and by stunt actor look-alikes who were filmed either from behind or filmed from a distance and voiced by a voice actor.

The show basically relied on AJJ, JDF and DY as they are the only three Rangers to appear for example, in any Command Center or Youth Center scene in their civilian forms. At least they had half the cast and were able to make the show go on until SC, JYB and KA stepped in as Rocky, Adam and Aisha. Without JDF, DY and AJJ would not have been enough to support the show's Jason's, Trini's and Zack's exit storyline. Which would have meant the end of Power Rangers. Can't do a show that required a cast of 6 at the time with only 2 main cast members present. At least 3 are needed. Plus I can't imagine Kimberly and Billy starting a romance or something, they are entirely different characters.

Red With Evil
03/10/18, 08:01 AM
I think Frank would have been brought back as Red. Unless he turned them down.

Green With Envy
03/10/18, 08:03 AM
It depends on why Frank would have left the show. But they already made the decision to keep him on full time by the time of his season 1 return,so I can't see why they would have wrote him out of the show in season 2?

Tommy Fan
03/10/18, 08:05 AM
I think some people are forgreting just how big Tommy was at the time. There is no say they weren't bringing him back as White Ranger. He would have had to go on strike with the others. But that happened right after his "return" . And we know JDF didn't go on strike.

Disney Ranger
03/10/18, 08:11 AM
Yes this was back when Saban Entertainment were producing the show as well as Disney. They wouldn't have wrote Tommy off a second time. He left in Turbo because JDF wanted to move on .

MattEmily
03/10/18, 09:44 AM
That's right. The three (ASJ, WEJ and TT) only appeared in the stock morphing sequence scenes, morphed ground fights, Zord/Megazord fights and their unmorphed versions either by the use of stock footage from previous episodes (mainly the Command Center scenes as Tommy is seen wearing both green and white-colored civilian clothes) and by stunt actor look-alikes who were filmed either from behind or filmed from a distance and voiced by a voice actor.

basically what you said in your post is correct but it's doubtful their replacement voice actors were truly voice actors since at least 1 perhaps 2 of them were known to be crew members.

Yes this was back when Saban Entertainment were producing the show as well as Disney. They wouldn't have wrote Tommy off a second time. He left in Turbo because JDF wanted to move on .

I'm not even going to say how stupid that Disney comment is oh wait I already did by implying it.

Power Rangers Forever
03/10/18, 12:02 PM
Some of the Disney seasons were good. Buy the idea they were the only good seasons outside of MMPR, just doesn't jive with me

Tzachor Era
03/10/18, 12:06 PM
MMPR and Zeo weren't that great anyway.The show didn't become great until Tzachor became the shlwrunner during Turbo. Of course the greatness really started with Space. Disney was a big step down. Tzachor made things better with his return. But the show is missing something without him now. Hopefully Hasbro realizes this and pushes Saban to bring back Tzachor

White Spandex Rules
03/10/18, 12:10 PM
Its likely that whoever the new White Ranger was would have been used to carry the show with Amy , and David. Until the replacements were put into place. But it would have been a bummer without Tommy

KimandTommy
03/10/18, 12:13 PM
Which is why there was no way they would have been dumb enough to write Tommy out after "Green No More" . The show needed Tommy and Kim's romance to continue.

Sentai Is Forever
03/10/18, 12:37 PM
If they were smart they would have used Kibaranger's storyline and left American Burai out entirely. Burai certainly doesn't return as Kibaranger in Dairanger. So it was silly to bring back American Burai. But MMAS did a lot of silly things.

MattEmily
03/10/18, 01:20 PM
If they were smart they would have used Kibaranger's storyline and left American Burai out entirely. Burai certainly doesn't return as Kibaranger in Dairanger. So it was silly to bring back American Burai. But MMAS did a lot of silly things.

if anything is silly it's you people. Power Rangers is free to do what it wants to do so you just need to get over yourself and your obsession and stop with the bashing NOW. You'd be banned at most other places due to your negative personality.

Goldar's Revenge
03/12/18, 04:03 PM
White Ranger eas never going to be Kibaranger. Certainly not at the expense of Tommy.

Forever Jason
03/14/18, 11:14 PM
Jason would have become lewder again during Zeo.

No Green Spandex
03/17/18, 08:20 AM
I have said it before. Tommy's storyline as Green Ranger was great. "Green No More" was the perfect swan song. They not onky cheapened the episode with his return, but ruined the character. And I think really did some damage to the brand. They were already lucmy that they made up for cheaping his exit in "The Green Candle". But they tokd an even better story leading to GNM. The White Ranger stuff and beyond not so much.

Massive Ego
03/17/18, 12:19 PM
Who knows if the show would have lasted if Tommy didn't return?

I think it would have. Ratings went down in season 3 and didn't stabilize until Turbo. And that was with Tommy.

Miki1988
03/17/18, 05:09 PM
It would have been fine if they kept Tommy as a 6th Ranger even after the change from Green to White and made either Rocky, Kim or Billy the new team leader (following the cast change during S2). All Rangers would get equal attention and focus on the show that way. It would have all ended up in some episodes done better and maybe even some better storylines in my opinion. Plus it would have been a good way to keep JDF on the show as long as he'd be willing to (obviously) without affecting the quality of the series.

The way they forced Tommy made t look like he was the only main character on the series and the rest were just recurring.

Although it is the MMPR seasons that I have at the top of my "favorite seasons" list.

Everyone Loves Rocky
03/17/18, 06:11 PM
Rocky as team leader would have been great!

MMPR Forever
03/17/18, 06:12 PM
MMPR is the best! Only Ninja Steel has come close. But MMPR is still the greatest.

Adam White Tiger
03/17/18, 06:13 PM
I would have liked to have seen Adam be the new leader.

Lion Tamer Org
03/19/18, 03:22 PM
Richie and Curtis seem like good plan Bs.

MMPR Guru
03/21/18, 12:23 PM
The fans would have been pissed and stopped watching the show. I know I would have.