PDA

View Full Version : Powers From The Past Episode Discussion

MattEmily
01/30/15, 12:51 AM
The Dino Charge premiere has been uploaded to nick.com and to the Nick App so this is the discussion thread for it.

The Ghost Ranger
01/30/15, 01:44 AM
That.Was.AWESOME! Even though its only a premier, it was way better then MF/SMF by a ton!

PRangerX
01/30/15, 11:46 AM
Wow this is exciting can't wait to go home and watch lol

Usagi Reborn
01/30/15, 12:11 PM
I actually have hope for this season now.

MMPR Forever
01/30/15, 12:13 PM
Still doesn't feel like PR to me. But I didn't expect it to be any good. MMPR is still the one and only.

Starlight Supreme
01/30/15, 12:14 PM
I'm jealous that I can't watch it right now.

The Ghost Ranger
01/30/15, 02:57 PM
Still doesn't feel like PR to me. But I didn't expect it to be any good. MMPR is still the one and only.

Please, take off the rose tinted glasses and stop comparing everything to the original. It is not fair to the new seasons that can be legit good if you cant let go of the past.

MattEmily
01/30/15, 03:30 PM
yea you can't compare everything to MMPR especially since that had very little stories... and zero back stories with the villains. Rita was just wanting to conquer the Earth for no reason other than it was the closest thing to the Moon.

Sledge is just interested in the Energems because of their power. He doesn't care about our planet.

I was very impressed with the premiere... on top of which NO MICKEY MOUSE ROLL CALL IN THE OPENING CREDITS!!!!

Captain Codfish
01/30/15, 04:23 PM
MMPR was 20 years ago. Of course PR is not gonna be like that right now. I just want good story telling.

Lord Leo
01/30/15, 04:24 PM
I can't wait for the next episode. Its going to be a cool year for PR fans.

Astronema
01/30/15, 11:48 PM
Wow! So Keeper is responsible for the extinction of the Dinosuars? Crazy! Seems kinda odd he was able to decimate the villains like that so easily. I dug the Space scenes in the open. Pretty ambitious for Power Rangers .

Adam White Tiger
01/30/15, 11:50 PM
But what right did Keeper have to put the dinosuars in peril like that? He had to know what was going to happen.

Everyone Loves Rocky
01/30/15, 11:54 PM
I liked the episode. It was fun and the characters seemed to have a lot of energy. The villains seemed a bit generic but turned out to be a nice balence of menacing and comedic. I like how the theme is not just a rehash of the MMPR theme.

Phantom Stranger
01/30/15, 11:57 PM
Shelby kinda annoyed me. She just seemed too goofy and like a five year old at times. Maybe she will grow on me. I hope she does. I have to see more episodes to see what I really think of everything.

Starlight Supreme
01/31/15, 12:20 AM
What a cool premiere. It felt like they actually put some effort into the story. I like how they are taking it slow. We got some good focus on Tyler and Shelby. Certainly a different way of them getting their powers than most Rangers.

Superstatler
01/31/15, 07:26 AM
I didn't like it. Having Keeper be responsible for the extinction of the dinosuars messes with the timeline for me. The civilian scenes were too over the top. We didn't get enough action. I thought it was silly how Tyler and Shelby just lucked into their powers. The villains were terrible. Is Sledge gonna be a more generic Lothor?

MattEmily
01/31/15, 08:58 AM
I can't wait for the next episode. Its going to be a cool year for PR fans.

No doubt. I can't wait for the next episode either.

Wow! So Keeper is responsible for the extinction of the Dinosuars? Crazy! Seems kinda odd he was able to decimate the villains like that so easily. I dug the Space scenes in the open. Pretty ambitious for Power Rangers .

Indeed that was a cool move but it's not like he decimated any of the villains.

But what right did Keeper have to put the dinosuars in peril like that? He had to know what was going to happen.
It's not like he knew what was going to happen. I doubt he had any knowledge of Sledge having asteroids. It's like you and I. How would you know what I have in my collection unless I post it? Same with you. How would I know what's in your collection unless you post it?

Shelby kinda annoyed me. She just seemed too goofy and like a five year old at times. Maybe she will grow on me. I hope she does. I have to see more episodes to see what I really think of everything.
I actually like that about her... her being overexcited. It's a nice character trait for her. I'd rather her be like that than the traditional black stereotype.

What a cool premiere. It felt like they actually put some effort into the story. I like how they are taking it slow. We got some good focus on Tyler and Shelby. Certainly a different way of them getting their powers than most Rangers.
Indeed it was a cool premiere and I completely agree that it does look like Chip put a lot of effort into the story. I also agree that I like how they're taking it slow. Certainly a different way with giving them their powers but I definitely approve.

I didn't like it. Having Keeper be responsible for the extinction of the dinosuars messes with the timeline for me. The civilian scenes were too over the top. We didn't get enough action. I thought it was silly how Tyler and Shelby just lucked into their powers. The villains were terrible. Is Sledge gonna be a more generic Lothor?

I don't know how you can say it messes with the timeline because it doesn't. It has ALWAYS been rumored that asteroids were the thing that wiped out the dinosaurs.
This was a premiere so they were using it to introduce us to the villains and the characters instead of forcing us immediately into the action like what was done with the 2 previous premieres of failed seasons.
I completely disagree that the villains were terrible. No one can be as worse as Lothor was.

Superstatler
01/31/15, 12:44 PM
Well the dino gems were in the Asteriod that made the dinosuars extinct. This invalidates that.

MattEmily
01/31/15, 01:49 PM
Well the dino gems were in the Asteriod that made the dinosuars extinct. This invalidates that.

no it doesn't.
Tommy specifically mentioned "asteroid" when saying where the gems came from. There's always the possibility of there being tons of asteroids that he wasn't aware of.
This makes it so that the gems were in one of the asteroids that Sledge had. Nothing invalidates that.

Superstatler
01/31/15, 04:36 PM
More on why I didn't like the episode.

It just felt so unrealistic. Grown men and woman wouldn't act the way those people were acting. Tyler and Shelby become Rangers and act like its just another day. Shouldn't they be worried about the monsters they just faught? Once again the villains do nothing for me. I hate comedic bad guys. I thought we would be getting more serious bad guys. Why do they keep using the Sentai villans? They should have original villains. Sledge being a bounty hunter is lame.

Back to the bad continuity. I find it pretty unbelieveable that completely unrelated powers would just happen to hit the Earth at the same time.

Lord Leo
01/31/15, 04:38 PM
I think the episode was fine. The series is starting out slow and not over promising. The show will get stronger and stronger over time.

MattEmily
01/31/15, 05:32 PM
More on why I didn't like the episode.

It just felt so unrealistic. Grown men and woman wouldn't act the way those people were acting. Tyler and Shelby become Rangers and act like its just another day. Shouldn't they be worried about the monsters they just faught? Once again the villains do nothing for me. I hate comedic bad guys. I thought we would be getting more serious bad guys. Why do they keep using the Sentai villans? They should have original villains. Sledge being a bounty hunter is lame.

Back to the bad continuity. I find it pretty unbelieveable that completely unrelated powers would just happen to hit the Earth at the same time.

realism in Power Rangers? are you kidding? where have you been? the show has NEVER been realistic.

1. Villains breathing on the Moon.
2. Rangers breathing on the Moon.
3. Mike just lying/laying out in space not even moving.
4. Silvy riding on a Galaxy Glider out in space with ZERO protection.

need I go on?

I don't know how you saw Sledge as a comedic villain I didn't but they always need to have 1 comic relief character and that appears to be Wrench.
I don't know why you're complaining about using Sentai villains when Sledge isn't even from the Sentai... however the answer to why they keep on using other Sentai villains is so they can use the footage for them. If they made just original villains then there's no Japanese footage of them and therefore that (using Sentai footage) costs less money than shooting new footage. It's a balance that a Producer has to deal with.
It's a Producer's job to create their show but they also need to stick to whatever budget Saban Brands gave them. If they go over the budget then what do you think happens to someone when they go over the budget? They're fired.

Believable or not it's something you need to live with in regards to the Dino Gems.

A show about heroes that morph into superhero spandex-wearing warriors and you don't find that (the Dino Gem/asteroid thing) believable?
A show that had a kidnapped born-to-be-good alien be evil back in the day as one of the villains and you don't find that to be believable?
A show that actually had demons and mutants as villains and you don't find that believable?
A show where monsters are created because of pollution and you don't find that believable?
A show with tons of time travel stories or instances where the Rangers are turned to kids.
A show with a human that creates an experiment drink that turns him into a mad mutant dinosaur creature that wants to change the world back to the age of the Dinosaurs?
A show with undead warriors from an Underworld?
A show with an evil computer virus yet it couldn't kill every person on the planet?

Nothing in Power Rangers is meant to be believable it's a fictional show.

Superstatler
01/31/15, 10:14 PM
Thats not what I meant by unrealistic. I like fantasy in Power Rangers. I meant the way the characters were interacting with each other. Power Rangers was a little more mature back in the day but still a kids show. Seasons like Space and Time Force were more mature. Yet they still were fun enough for the younger viewers.

Really, I didn't see much difference in the type of writing here than with Samurai and Mega Force. I really wanted to like Dino Charge. And maybe I will if things improve. But right not I am disapointed. I was hoping for at least something like DinoThunder. Which would have been fun.

I was wrong about the Sentai villain thing. But that disapoints me more. They tried to make an original villain and I actually thought it was a Sentai villain. Thats worse.than I thought.

Inner Senshi
01/31/15, 10:16 PM
Maybe they didn't think it was a big deal because this is the PRU. Its pretty common for monsters to attack people. And many people have become Power Rangers now. So its kinda an old hat now. I would rather have this reaction the comic book line from Tori in Ninja Storm.

MattEmily
01/31/15, 10:23 PM
Thats not what I meant by unrealistic. I like fantasy in Power Rangers. I meant the way the characters were interacting with each other. Power Rangers was a little more mature back in the day but still a kids show. Seasons like Space and Time Force were more mature. Yet they still were fun enough for the younger viewers.

Really, I didn't see much difference in the type of writing here than with Samurai and Mega Force. I really wanted to like Dino Charge. And maybe I will if things improve. But right not I am disapointed. I was hoping for at least something like DinoThunder. Which would have been fun.

I was wrong about the Sentai villain thing. But that disapoints me more. They tried to make an original villain and I actually thought it was a Sentai villain. Thats worse.than I thought.

I don't see how the interactions were unrealistic.
We had Joel and Fairweather's interactions which in a realistic setting would have gotten him at least arrested and had a restraining order placed on him. Did that happen? No it didn't they wound up married.
We had Kat that befriended Kimberly, Tommy and everyone else even though she was under an evil spell and was completely jealous of Kimberly. She eventually became best friends with Aisha and Tanya like within seconds even though it wasn't realistic.
Jason returned from the Peace Conference and returned back to being best of friends with Tommy like he had never left but he never made any mention of Zack or Trini which again isn't realistic.
After Karone replaced Kendrix everyone pretty much entirely forgot about her (Kendrix) for the most part until she returned.
Let's see... what other things are far more worse unrealistic than whatever it is you're describing? I'll think of some more.
Same thing with Mike. After like the first few episodes while Leo had never forgotten about Mike and neither did some of his teammates (like Kendrix for example) practically everyone else did.
Lightspeed forgot about Ryan a lot after he left even to the point that the demons had also forgotten about him.
Jen and the Rangers eventually forgot about Alex and his sacrifice until he came to their time.
Characters like Tori, Shane and Dustin would have never became friends in real life since they're so far different from one another.

Yes Power Rangers was maturer (not a word I know) back in the day but that was back in the day. That's not now. They have to change with the times. We might want it to be maturer but we're not the target audience.

I doubt we'll see something like Dino Thunder since that was written by Doug and he created Mesogog with the intent to scare people.

hey at least they made an original villain and created an original ship. They could have just done a Tzachor and reconstructed the Sentai base and not even introduce a lot of Sledge's monsters early on like they did with the monsters in the cells that were in his ship.

Kilobyte
01/31/15, 10:34 PM
Although, I would think people in the PRU would still be excited to become Power Rangers.

MattEmily
01/31/15, 10:48 PM
that's true but there really wasn't time for that. They practically got thrown into morphing while facing down an ice monster and then they nearly got trampled by a T-Rexzord.

Superstatler
01/31/15, 11:05 PM
I don't see how the interactions were unrealistic.
We had Joel and Fairweather's interactions which in a realistic setting would have gotten him at least arrested and had a restraining order placed on him. Did that happen? No it didn't they wound up married.
We had Kat that befriended Kimberly, Tommy and everyone else even though she was under an evil spell and was completely jealous of Kimberly. She eventually became best friends with Aisha and Tanya like within seconds even though it wasn't realistic.
Jason returned from the Peace Conference and returned back to being best of friends with Tommy like he had never left but he never made any mention of Zack or Trini which again isn't realistic.
After Karone replaced Kendrix everyone pretty much entirely forgot about her (Kendrix) for the most part until she returned.
Let's see... what other things are far more worse unrealistic than whatever it is you're describing? I'll think of some more.
Same thing with Mike. After like the first few episodes while Leo had never forgotten about Mike and neither did some of his teammates (like Kendrix for example) practically everyone else did.
Lightspeed forgot about Ryan a lot after he left even to the point that the demons had also forgotten about him.
Jen and the Rangers eventually forgot about Alex and his sacrifice until he came to their time.
Characters like Tori, Shane and Dustin would have never became friends in real life since they're so far different from one another.

Yes Power Rangers was maturer (not a word I know) back in the day but that was back in the day. That's not now. They have to change with the times. We might want it to be maturer but we're not the target audience.

I doubt we'll see something like Dino Thunder since that was written by Doug and he created Mesogog with the intent to scare people.

hey at least they made an original villain and created an original ship. They could have just done a Tzachor and reconstructed the Sentai base and not even introduce a lot of Sledge's monsters early on like they did with the monsters in the cells that were in his ship.

There is a certain level of disbelief I can accept. I just feel most of the series you listed at least had characters that reacted realtively normally most of the time. The episode just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know maybe the rest of them will be great and I will change my opinion.

I am glad they tried to do an American villain. Too bad they may have failed miserbly.

Sensei Ranger
01/31/15, 11:07 PM
I wouldn't read too much into the first episode anyway. For all we know what might all hate it. I remember a lot of people liked the first episode of Megaforce. And look how that turned out by the end of Super Mega Force.

Sailor Chaos
02/02/15, 04:33 PM
I wasn't excited about the episode either. Just had too many unfunny jokes and wasn't serious enough for me. I'm not looking for something super serious. But just serious for Power Rangers. I want Space level or rpm level story telling. This first episode wasn't much different then Samurai or Mega Force. But its only episode 1, so things can easily change.

Todd Oliver
02/02/15, 04:59 PM
I loved it! It felt like Power Rangers again. I don't mind a little whackiness in Power Rangers. Sledge felt threatening to me. I give them a lot of credit for not just using the Sentai villains as they were. The space battle was exciting. It was amazing to see that it resulted in the extinction of the dinosuars.

I like thet they gave us plenty of time to get to know Shelby and Tyler. There will be time to get to know the rest of the team over the next few episodes. The first episode is just supposed to set the stage for the season and it worked.

mbozzo
02/04/15, 08:44 PM
'Power From The Past' is a good episode. We get to see the villains, 2 costumed rangers, and 1 dinosaur zord. I hope that it will get better as time goes on. ;)

Kelly Power
02/04/15, 10:11 PM
It was good to see the first episode. I just feel its too early to make too many judgements now. The first episode was solid. The villains are gonna take awbile to get used to But this was only episode 1 and there is a lot more to come.

Byron Stinger
02/05/15, 08:04 AM
I have to admit I was a little underwhelmed. But its only episode 1 . And we didnt get to see much yet. It wss crazy seeing the ssteriods cause the destruction of the Dinosuars.

Dino Charger
02/08/15, 12:51 PM
I thought it was a lot of fun. The characters were interesting. And their was plenty of action in the beginning. I really liked Shelby especially. Seems like most people liked it. The few that didn't probably just got their hopes up too much. Of course I really liked the Disney and Neo Saban Era.

Itzy Bitzy Carter
02/08/15, 12:53 PM
I like that the Red and Pink Rangers got equal focus. Instead of it being all about Tyler

Sledge's Bounty
02/08/15, 12:56 PM
I really am interested in what they did with the villains. Sledge's is gonna be the best villian since Lothor. He is funny but seems like a real threat. I think I am really going to like him if the first episode is any indication.

PRangerX
02/08/15, 05:55 PM
I've held off actually commenting on this episode. I had a lot of thoughts and didnt want to overally judge the first episode. Also we really didn't get much on the Ranger front. The complete team isnt even together yet

Overall, I do feel it is a tad overrated like a few have said here. However, im not ready to bury it either. I thought it was okay. Really we really didn't get that much to really judge. Which could be a good.thing if the plan is to start out slow I stead of over promising.

I am not to sure about the characters or villains yet. But I give them points for intergrating the Sentai and original villains. The stuff in the early scenes with Keeper and then extinction of the dinosuars was pretty epic. Never thought I'd see PR show something like that.

Overall the premiere left me with more questions than answers. But like I said we shall see.whether that is good or bad

MattEmily
02/09/15, 02:51 AM
There is a certain level of disbelief I can accept. I just feel most of the series you listed at least had characters that reacted realtively normally most of the time. The episode just rubbed me the wrong way. I don't know maybe the rest of them will be great and I will change my opinion.

I am glad they tried to do an American villain. Too bad they may have failed miserbly.

perhaps they did act normal most of the time but you can't compare normal to TV characters. They're characters... fictional characters at that. Not all of them are going to be what you, I or any other person may classify as "normal."

Also you think they've failed with creating Sledge just based on ONE episode? That's laughable. Look at what happened with Lothor, Kapri and Marah back in Ninja Storm. All of them were pathetic in the beginning and they were all failures in a number of ways but what happened near the end? They actually got threatening and/or they turned it into a plot device.

Superstatler
02/09/15, 10:05 AM
Marah and Kaphri's plot device turned out to be a trick so that doesn't count.

Lothor was still a baffon in the end. He was a terrible villain. He had a good look, too bad it was wasted.

I am not saying they need to act like normal people. There was just took me out of the momment. I couldn't relate to any of the characters.

I just wasn't impressed with Sledge so far. But don't get me wrong I am going to give the show another chance. I loved "Mega Mission". And we all know how that turned out. So maybe the opposite will happen here.

MattEmily
02/09/15, 10:31 AM
Trick or not it still counts.

Superhero Galaxy
02/11/15, 10:43 PM
Well I for one like the episode. The characters had personality. And the opening scenes on prehistoric Earth were tremendous. It was a lot of fun and its on a taste of what is to come.

A Gia To Remember
02/13/15, 11:11 PM
I liked the beginning part with Prehistoric Earth. But I don't think I like the new characters as much as I did the Megaforce Rangers. But we haven't seen the whole team yet. So I hope this gets better.

Sentai Snob
02/13/15, 11:16 PM
Not sure if I dig the original stuff. But the Sentai stuff should be good here. Since it was a great season for Sentai. I hope they keep those elements in. Dino Charge should be interesting to Sentai fans if they do.