PDA

View Full Version : Did saban do the right thing bringing back power rangers ?

redspdranger
11/27/14, 10:35 PM
This question is difficult to even for me to ask as i'm a staunch supporter of power rangers and big fan of it. I could not really see those bashing of power rangers in the forum. So that's why i have raised this question. Did saban do the right thing bringing back power rangers from its presumed death. After all it went off the air with a bang in 2009 with RPM. It was stellar season and people lauded power rangers for such a season to end. In 2011 saban reacquired the rights and started producing power rangers again which was a joyful news for all fans including me. But the string of seasons and episodes left us in bad taste. Although i liked samurai, but it was not at all a power rangers material we have been seeing for decades. And megaforce does not even deserve to be called power rangers season. It has literally made all the staunch fans irate and many normal viewers leave the show. The episodes we have been getting from 2011 does not even match the calibre of filler episodes of spd,rpm. Samurai,Megaforce are tarnishing the power rangers reputation. So the question for all of us is did saban do the right thing bringing back power rangers ? I'm going to vote for yes because there is still hope that dino charge in 2015 charges up and tells the world that power rangers is back and with judd lynn. 'I'm big fan of time force' there is no doubt they will definitely learn from the previous season mistakes

MattEmily
11/28/14, 11:04 AM
Yes they did do the right thing with bringing the series back from the dead. Yes Samurai and Megaforce were bad seasons but that doesn't mean all of the seasons will be, Samurai and Megaforce were just bad because of Tzachor who doesn't know how to do anything anymore but get himself fired and get himself even more hated by the masses.

PRangerX
11/29/14, 07:39 AM
I agree with Matt. Saban was actually pretty forewarded thinking with how he brought PR back. It's amazing he was able to get the franchise back. Getting a tv deal with Nick was also smart.

Plus he has done far more to promote the brand than Disney. Saban Brands brought us DVDs and inked streaming deals. The problem was more. On the production end.

MattEmily
11/29/14, 10:03 AM
No doubt, it is amazing he was able to get Power Rangers back especially since Disney had it and they're not ones known for selling things that they have.

Indeed it was smart of him to get a broadcast deal inked with Nickelodeon, sure a lot of us hate the episode limit that has been imposed on the series on a yearly basis but it was the best option to get the brand back out there after Disney practically killed it once Jungle Fury ended. (yes I know RPM existed but not to many people since it pretty much was in a 'to-be-dead' block.)

Indeed Saban has done a lot more to promote the brand than Disney ever did not to mention we've gotten DVDs out of Saban's new ownership plus streaming deals with Netflix and Hulu.

PRangerX
11/29/14, 11:32 AM
Yeah you have to take the best tv deal you can get. It's a good thing they didnt choose the hub.

Charles RB
12/16/14, 05:46 PM
If you mean the right thing by the brand, well, the brand had been killed by Disney at the time and largely because Disney weren't interested in it anymore. Someone would have eventually brought it back because that's how franchises work these days, but Saban bringing it back means the brand's not dead now and it got all the old episodes (including Disney) on DVD and Netflix. Even though the new series suck like a black hole (save us Dino Charge), the better stuff is legally available for kids to see. That's definitely a good thing.

(It's also a good thing for the New Zealand production crew and for Bandai employees cos new Power Rangers = jobs)

Kelly Power
12/17/14, 06:00 PM
Diffinitly. Would be too much money left on the table if the show wasn't brought back.

Sentai Master
12/18/14, 11:59 AM
Whats the fun of having Super Sentai without Power Rangers? Especially for those of us in the west. It was great that Saban brought it back.

Captain Codfish
12/18/14, 12:06 PM
The only Neo Saban Series I love is Super Megaforce ....But I would still rather have PR than no PR. I am glad Saban brought Power Rangers back.

VR Master
12/20/14, 09:51 PM
I think they should have waited a few years to get fans excited again. It was a little too soon for me.

Disney Ranger
12/20/14, 09:54 PM
I was disapointed when Disney sold. They did such a good job with the franchise. I always hoped they would be the ones to bring it back. Disney is such a big company, I never thought they would sell.

MattEmily
12/21/14, 08:08 AM
I really didn't expect Disney to sell Power Rangers but I also didn't see them bringing them back once they ended it. They ended it for a reason and while I'm sure Shinkenger played a part in the reason it wasn't the only reason behind it.

Saban would have been the only way we would have gotten a new season otherwise we would still be stuck with no new seasons.

PRangerX
12/21/14, 11:32 AM
Yeah it was a big surprise. MR Aftershock told me their was some negociations months prior. But last i heard talked broke down. Than months later the deal was announced. It was a very nice surprise.

I think the franchise would have still come back in some form if Disney didn't sell. It probably would have been a lot longer. But the franchise is better off with Saban Brands. Instead of being a subsidary of a huge corporation, they are now the central franchise of one company. As much as they have been critized creatively, they are invested in the franchise. They have opened a lot of doors to showcase the franchise in ways Disney never tried. It was unbelievable that Disney never gave us boxed sets or took advantage of online streaming. After a few years they even stopped airing the reruns. Saban has done all this plug got them on a strong cable network that is comparable to Disney's channels.

Destiny Defeated
12/28/14, 08:46 PM
I would have rather have seen Disney transfer it over to Marvel Studios. I think they would have brought the show back to ita glory days. They also had the means of producing a new PR movie.

MattEmily
12/28/14, 09:34 PM
Yeah it was a big surprise. MR Aftershock told me their was some negociations months prior. But last i heard talked broke down. Than months later the deal was announced. It was a very nice surprise.

I think the franchise would have still come back in some form if Disney didn't sell. It probably would have been a lot longer. But the franchise is better off with Saban Brands. Instead of being a subsidary of a huge corporation, they are now the central franchise of one company. As much as they have been critized creatively, they are invested in the franchise. They have opened a lot of doors to showcase the franchise in ways Disney never tried. It was unbelievable that Disney never gave us boxed sets or took advantage of online streaming. After a few years they even stopped airing the reruns. Saban has done all this plug got them on a strong cable network that is comparable to Disney's channels.

thing is in order for such a thing to have happened Disney's rights on Power Rangers would have needed to lapse to the point of the rights going back to Toei. Basically exactly what happened with shows like Digimon and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight just to name a few examples.

I agree that it was unbelievable that Disney never took advantage of DVDs or streaming options but I guess they thought Power Rangers wasn't worth their time to even bother with it.

I would have rather have seen Disney transfer it over to Marvel Studios. I think they would have brought the show back to ita glory days. They also had the means of producing a new PR movie.

Marvel would have been good but Disney wanted nothing to do with it and it would have been under their ownership again once they bought Marvel on top of which it would still need to be something that Marvel would want to handle and they are pretty much only a comic book division. Not to mention I'm not sure how Marvel would even feel about needing to divide the sales between themselves and Toei.

Astronema
12/28/14, 09:57 PM
PR under Marvel Studios is a cool idea. But I don't think it would have happened. Disney would have moved it over instead of selling in it. At the end of the day the Saban sale was good.

The only other company I would have liked to buy PR would have been Lucasfilm. Which funny enough got bought out by Disney just a few years ago.

PRangerX
12/28/14, 10:24 PM
Well Disney already owned Marvel Studios before they sold PR. So it just would have been a matter of moving it under Marvel's control instead of Buena Vesta's. Marvel Studios was already around Pre-Disney. So they were already more than a comic book company. Disney bought Marvel for Marvel Studios and the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Destiny Defeated
12/28/14, 10:26 PM
Thats what I was thinking. Marvel Studios would have been a better fit. Even if Disney still owned Marvel.

Decepticon
12/29/14, 10:36 AM
I would have liked to haven seen Toei buy it out as an expansion of the american division. As long as they put the right people in charge of the product and marketing. That would eliminate the need to share revenue and decision making with someone else.

KimandTommy
12/29/14, 01:03 PM
I was disapointed in the end. Since I thought we would go back to the glory days of MMPR. Instead we got more of the same.

MattEmily
12/29/14, 01:48 PM
We're never going back to the glory days. They were called the glory days for a reason.