PDA

View Full Version : "Countdown to Destruction" is overrated

Khan's Wrath
02/04/15, 08:06 AM
People act like its an all time great finalie. But all it was...Was a episode with a bunch of old costumes. The story was all over the place. The villains were defeated too easily . Astronema coming back to life made non sense. Zedd, Rita and Divatox becoming good made nonsense either. The defeat of Dark Specter was lackluster and unbelievable. If the Dark Fortress had this super missle capable of destorying a planet, why didn't they use it sooner? The campfire scene was horriby acted. As was the "I'm a Power Ranger" scene.

Everyone Loves Rocky
02/04/15, 12:17 PM
Yeah Lightspeeds Finalie was so much better and had more emotion. The stakes were still eye but more was done on a character level. It just didn't have all the villains from the past. So it is underrated. I have never seen a better finalie.

PRangerX
02/04/15, 12:36 PM
"Countdown To Destruction" is the best episode ever. I had emotion, drama, actionz and some comedy. It was the last major PRU event until "Forever Red"' . The stakes were raised like never before. Seeing the UAE unite to attack the universe was nothing the show had ever done before. Five years of continuity was paid off. Nothing will ever be quite like it.

The battle between Astronoma and Andros was intense. The scene with him crying over his dead body was so powerful. It was such a great momment when she was resurected. The purification of the villain's was a nice twist in continuity. The defeat of the UAE was at the cost of Zordon. So it made perfect sense.

The campfire scene was bad. But the scene with Bulk and Skull leading the civilians was a Great momment. It really brought the two characters full circle. The reveal of the Power Rangers to the public was amazing.

Sure it was wierd that the villians suddenly had a missle to defeat that could destory a planet. But the defeat of Dark Spector only made things more chaotic for our heroes.

MattEmily
02/04/15, 08:45 PM
People act like its an all time great finalie. But all it was...Was a episode with a bunch of old costumes. The story was all over the place. The villains were defeated too easily . Astronema coming back to life made non sense. Zedd, Rita and Divatox becoming good made nonsense either. The defeat of Dark Specter was lackluster and unbelievable. If the Dark Fortress had this super missle capable of destorying a planet, why didn't they use it sooner? The campfire scene was horriby acted. As was the "I'm a Power Ranger" scene.
technically you do have a point about some of that. It wasn't as great of a finalé as people make it out to be.
Yes the villains were defeated too easily but because there wasn't enough of an army on the Rangers' side they had to do something to end it.
I disagree with your points on Rita, Zedd and Divatox becoming good... granted I wish we would've seen Finster, Rito, Master Vile, Elgar, Mama D and Ecliptor becoming good because of Rito and Vile's relationships with Rita, Elgar and Mama D's relations with Divatox and because of the loyalty and goodness that Ecliptor showed to Astronema. Also Finster should've been turned good because he wasn't ever shown to be that thrilled about being on the side of evil.

They were just finishing off work on the planet destroying missiles and they were hoping to likely never use them... while Dark Specter dying was a bit too easy it wasn't that unbelievable since he was struck by 1 of those missiles and he devoured one.

"Countdown To Destruction" is the best episode ever. I had emotion, drama, actionz and some comedy. It was the last major PRU event until "Forever Red"' . The stakes were raised like never before. Seeing the UAE unite to attack the universe was nothing the show had ever done before. Five years of continuity was paid off. Nothing will ever be quite like it.
well I'm not sure if I would call it the best episode ever but it did have a lot of emotional scenes, a lot of drama and a lot of action scenes. I agree that it was the last major event in the PRU universe... I personally wouldn't even consider Forever Red to be a major event since it was such a big teamup.
I agree that the stakes were raised and I agree that the 5 years of continuity was paid off.

The battle between Astronoma and Andros was intense. The scene with him crying over his dead body was so powerful. It was such a great momment when she was resurected. The purification of the villain's was a nice twist in continuity. The defeat of the UAE was at the cost of Zordon. So it made perfect sense.

The campfire scene was bad. But the scene with Bulk and Skull leading the civilians was a Great momment. It really brought the two characters full circle. The reveal of the Power Rangers to the public was amazing.
that it was intense. Over his body? hey I didn't know he was a girl or Astronema was a boy... but I do agree that it was a powerful and emotional scene and it was most definitely a great moment when she was resurrected.
The Z-Wave was definitely a nice twist and it was also a nice twist but a disappointing one with Zordon's death.
I agree that the Bulk and Skull scenes were great moments and it brought them full circle in a way.

Sure it was wierd that the villians suddenly had a missle to defeat that could destory a planet. But the defeat of Dark Spector only made things more chaotic for our heroes.

yea that was weird especially since they technically had 2 but I do agree that Dark Specter's defeat only made things more chaotic for the Rangers.

Adam White Tiger
02/04/15, 10:27 PM
My Favorite episode of Space was Always A Chance. It was cool seeing Adam come back and mentor Carlos. Plus we even got to see him morph into the Black Ranger again.

Lightspeed Zeo
02/05/15, 11:57 AM
I thought Fate of Lightspeed was the better finale two. I actually like both episodes though.

Turbo Guy
02/05/15, 11:58 AM
What about Chase into Space. For all you guys that like dark.....Well there it is.

Itzy Bitzy Carter
02/05/15, 05:29 PM
I liked Countdown better. Fate actually was forced and anticlimatic to me. It had no real heart. It was a lesser version of the Space and Galaxy finalies.

Kilobyte
02/06/15, 09:36 PM
Chase Into Space was a great finalie too. It was a bit different because it was a cliffhanger.

Usagi Reborn
02/06/15, 09:37 PM
One of the few episodes of Turbo that I liked. Countdown is diffinitly the best of the three. It was almost like a made for tv movie.

PsychoGreen
02/07/15, 11:00 AM
I agree to some degree that at times it is over rated and blown out of proportion.
Usagi brings up a good point, it really felt like a special made for tv movie. It just had a serious feel to it with a lot of finality. I love where the rangers lose their powers, and Bulk & Skull rally all the people to fight back. As a kid and even now, it was really memorable.

PRangerX
02/07/15, 12:39 PM
A lot of it comes down to context too. Someone who watches it now might not get the same effect as someone who watched it when it first aired. You have to understand what was going on in Power Rangers at the time.

PsychoGreen
02/08/15, 09:15 PM
Very true. I can still remember waiting through school, and wanting to see it all day. A lot of other kids my age who grew up watching it stopped watching at Zeo or the beginning of Turbo. Plus to many it wasn't "cool anymore"(how many times have we heard that as PR fans?) But I remember getting off the bus and gathering around he television with my brother and neighbor. It was a pretty significant event for us, and that episode changed a lot of things.

PRangerX
02/08/15, 09:22 PM
I remember watching it when it aired. My mom thought I was too old for PR. But even see liked the episode. I expected another cliffhanger like "Chase Into Space". But it became pretty clear during it that it was a finalie. By the end I thought it was the last episode of Power Rangers. Even labeled by tape that. Probably still have it somewhere.

Dino Charger
02/08/15, 09:28 PM
I didn't really like most of Space. But I have to admit that Countdown was a pretty tremendous episode. I wouldn't call it my fav. But it was pretty cool and ambitious. It was sad when Zordon died. I cried when I was a kid. I was kinda hoping Zordon would come back but it hasn't happened yet.

Decepticon
02/11/15, 09:16 PM
How can you call the culmination of five seasons of storylines overrated? I think people just want to bash things for fun sometimes. Most of the people who don't get C2D were too young at the time to watch it.

MattEmily
02/11/15, 11:22 PM
A lot of it comes down to context too. Someone who watches it now might not get the same effect as someone who watched it when it first aired. You have to understand what was going on in Power Rangers at the time.

that's a good point not to mention we had no idea if the show was over or not at the time.

MattEmily
02/11/15, 11:25 PM
I didn't really like most of Space. But I have to admit that Countdown was a pretty tremendous episode. I wouldn't call it my fav. But it was pretty cool and ambitious. It was sad when Zordon died. I cried when I was a kid. I was kinda hoping Zordon would come back but it hasn't happened yet.

that still bugs me about Zordon dying but I wouldn't want him back anyway if they're just going to do a Disney thing and cast a local actor in order to do his voice since it just wouldn't work. I did like the idea of the (Disney) crew bringing Rita back as the Mystic Mother and Alpha 6 in Overdrive but I hated their voices that the local actors tried to attempt to copy... it just doesn't work unless it's the same actor that did the voice.

MMPR Forever
02/12/15, 11:57 AM
I would have loved to see the meeting where they decided to kill off Zordon and thought that it would be a good idea. Zordon should never have left the show in the first place. Dimitria really annoyed me. How can I enjoy Space with them going the whole year looking for Zordon, only for him to die. Zordon was a big part of MMPR,he should still be around as the mentor of the Power Rangers.

Dic Dubber
02/12/15, 11:58 AM
Maybe Zordon was reborn as Gosei?

MattEmily
02/12/15, 01:46 PM
Maybe Zordon was reborn as Gosei?

nah since Gosei said "he was of the Earth" and that Zordon was his Mentor.

Dic Dubber
02/12/15, 05:11 PM
That is pretty vague though. It leaves a lot to the imagination.

MattEmily
02/12/15, 07:20 PM
yea but he also said he created Robo Knight.

Zord Commander
02/12/15, 08:47 PM
Gosei's inclusion in the PRU is very interesting. Almost like Thrax but not as crazy in relation to the timeline. It does seem odd that Zordon had someone sleeping on Earth for centuries. Just doesn't really jive with the timeline of the show. Especially since we all assumed Tommy was the de facto successor to Zordon.

Sensei Ranger
02/12/15, 08:49 PM
What if Gosei is Tommy in disguise or using some wierd king of allusion. Maybe he wanted to be anonymous until "Legendary Battle". So he did his best Zordon impersionation. It would be pretty cool if that were true.

Superstatler
02/12/15, 08:51 PM
Gosei should have just been someone different. Having him be Zordon's protege was forced and just a cheap not to the past. Its like what the Kalish Regime did with Rita and Mystic Mother. Just misguided nostalgia that wasn't needed here. There is really no plausible explanation for Zordon and Gosei. Especially since Gosei has been sleeping for centuries. Why didn't Zordon wake him during MMPR?

Itzy Bitzy Carter
02/12/15, 08:52 PM
The better question is why it took Gosei so long to wake up? Why didn't he wake up to face the other threats?

Usagi Reborn
02/12/15, 08:53 PM
I think we are putting more thought into the Gosei thing than the producers ever did. And thats pretty scary.

Kimmy Repulsa
02/12/15, 08:55 PM
I hated "Countdown To Destruction". They kills Zordon and wrote off the Space cast. A really stupid episode. That missle could never have taking out Dark Spector. Zordon shouldn't have the power to just magically wipe out the whole UAE. Andros shouldn't be able to ressurect his sister with his tears. And don't give me Zordon's Wave. Zordon's Wave had already been unleashed.

Everyone Loves Rocky
02/12/15, 09:09 PM
It would have been better if there were three parts. But I thought it was still pretty exciting.

PsychoGreen
02/13/15, 01:03 PM
It would have been better if there were three parts. But I thought it was still pretty exciting.
Well, there was supposed to be a third part. One can only imagine what type of things would have happened. Like the back story for Phantom Ranger.
How can you call the culmination of five seasons of storylines overrated? I think people.just want to bash things for fun sometimes. Most ofnthe people who don't get C2D were.too young at the time to watch it.
Pretty much. That's with "fans" of anything on the internet really, and yeah. It gets old.
I think we are putting more thought into the Gosei thing than the producers ever did. And thats pretty scary.
Isn't that the whole point though? We're the people that have nowhere else to turn when over analyzing this stuff. But yeah, it is scary sometimes.

Usagi Reborn
02/13/15, 09:27 PM
Yeah I was just saying I thought it was scary that we probably put more thought into it than the producers at the time. Not saying we can't discuss.

Sensei Ranger
02/13/15, 09:29 PM
The problem is the producers have a lot of Masters to serve. They can't just do whatever they want. That doesn't mean we can't critique the show. But it is often times more complicated than it seems. There are a lot of voices that get put into PR before it makes the on screen.

Dino Charger
02/13/15, 09:31 PM
I just enjoy the show. I try not to over think and take all the fun out of it. But I am not saying we can't have intelligent discussions. Its just how I personally feel. There is always room for improvement. The producers are human just like us.

A Gia To Remember
02/13/15, 10:34 PM
I thought the episode was pretty fun actually. But my all time favorite is "Legendary Battle". Its so cool .